Problems with starting the Catalina?

• Aerosoft

When you got the engines in the Realistic mode (set on the Checklist Configuration page) it is not easy to start the engines. These massive engines are not like modern engines and do not have sophisticated digital controls. But like most things, if you done it right one time it becomes easy. Here is a short step by step guide, feel free to ask questions.

Check that:

• Battery Switch is ON (27 volts minimal, reload aircraft when battery is low)
  • All other electrical switches are OFF
  • Cowl Gills are OPEN
  • Parking Brakes are SET
  • Master Ignition is ON
    Switch to Back Wall View
    • Beacon light ON
    • Right Fuel Selector to BOTH
    • Right Mixture Control to FULL RICH
      Switch to Main Virtual Cockpit View
      • Throttle slightly open (cracked)
      • Right Fuel Booster to ON
      • Right Starter ON and wait 6 seconds (12 blades count)
      • Right Prime to ON for a 4 seconds and repeat and...
      • ... immediately Right Magneto to BOTH
      • When engine starts Right Mixture Control to AUTO RICH
      • Right Generator ON
      • Right Starter to OFF
      • Right Fuel Booster to OFF
      • Use primer when RPM drops below 1500
      • Repeat for Left Engine
      • When engine does not start

[*]Starter to OFF[*]Fuel Boost to OFF[*]Ignition to OFF[*]And repeat with at item 4 with more priming. If it is really cold or when you hear the engine struggle just give it some more prime or even keep the prime on during the startup.

Or check out this small video.

It looks better if you click this link that will open it in high definition directly.

• 2 weeks later...
When you got the engines in the Realistic mode (set on the Checklist Configuration page) it is not easy to start the engines. These massive engines are not like modern engines and do not have sophisticated digital controls. But like most things, if you done it right one time it becomes easy. Here is a short step by step guide, feel free to ask questions.

Check that:

• Battery Switch is ON (27 volts minimal, reload aircraft when battery is low)
  • All other electrical switches are OFF
  • Cowl Gills are OPEN
  • Parking Brakes are SET
  • Master Ignition is ON

Switch to Back Wall View

• Beacon light ON
  • Right Fuel Selector to BOTH
  • Right Mixture Control to FULL RICH

Switch to Main Virtual Cockpit View

• Throttle slightly open (cracked)
  • Right Fuel Booster to ON
  • Right Starter ON and wait 6 seconds (12 blades count)
  • Right Prime to ON for a 4 seconds and repeat and...
  • ... immediately Right Magneto to BOTH
  • When engine starts Right Mixture Control to AUTO RICH
  • Right Generator ON

• Right Starter to OFF
  • Right Fuel Booster to OFF
  • Use primer when RPM drops below 1500

• Repeat for Left Engine
When engine does not start

• Starter to OFF
  • Fuel Boost to OFF
  • Ignition to OFF
  • And repeat with at item 4 with more priming. If it is really cold or when you hear the engine struggle just give it some more prime or even keep the prime on during the startup.
Or check out this small video.

It looks better if you click this link that will open it in high definition directly.

Hi Mathijs,been having some trouble starting engines in realisticmode.should i prime for 4 seconds,stop,and prime again for 4 seconds before switching magnetos or just prime the once?I can start it easily in normal mode.By the way,i have been flying sims for about 5 years and must say this aircraft is an absolute joy to fly,congrats to you and your team!I would love to see a pilatus pc12 project from you guys !

Hi Mathijs,been having some trouble starting engines in realisticmode.should i prime for 4 seconds,stop,and prime again for 4 seconds before switching magnetos or just prime the once?I can start it easily in normal mode.By the way,i have been flying sims for about 5 years and must say this aircraft is an absolute joy to fly,congrats to you and your team!I would love to see a pilatus pc12 project from you guys !

The correct way to prime is like this:

-After having engaged the starter - toggle the switch to prime twice.

-Then immediatly move the magentos to both.

-The engines should start to run.

-The engine might run uneven, so now prime again toggling the primer on and off a couple of times.

-Keep an eye on the RPM and prime when RPM starts to drop.

-When Oil temp reaches 35°, priming should not be necessary

Note !

When turning on magnetos, You might need to open up the throttles briefly until RPM gets above 1000 RPM - then retard again to keep RPM down, but not more than necessary to keep RPM just above 1000 RPM.

Finn

The correct way to prime is like this:

-After having engaged the starter - toggle the switch to prime twice.

-Then immediatly move the magentos to both.

-The engines should start to run.

-The engine might run uneven, so now prime again toggling the primer on and off a couple of times.

-Keep an eye on the RPM and prime when RPM starts to drop.

-When Oil temp reaches 35°, priming should not be necessary

Note !

When turning on magnetos, You might need to open up the throttles briefly until RPM gets above 1000 RPM - then retard again to keep RPM down, but not more than necessary to keep RPM just above 1000 RPM.

Finn

Hi Finn,thanks for your reply.It still wont start in realistic mode,i followed your instructions,i have gone through the interactive checklist,and also watched vid on utube but they still wont kick over.I can start it no problem in standard mode.Do you do anything different(in cold and dark config)between standard and realistic modes in getting these engines started?

Thanks

If you're sure you've not missed something, try opening the throttles to around 30% - with the parking brake set of course!

I had trouble with starting during the beta (I had more trouble keeping them going once airborne though), but doing the correct thing at the correct time now gives me a good start everytime and I've not blown an engine in weeks :)

Please ensure that "Automixture" is UN-Checked in FSX's realism menu.

Finn

Thanks Gents,I had ''automixture''ticked in fsx menu,it works fine now. :lol:

If you're sure you've not missed something, try opening the throttles to around 30% - with the parking brake set of course!

I had trouble with starting during the beta (I had more trouble keeping them going once airborne though), but doing the correct thing at the correct time now gives me a good start everytime and I've not blown an engine in weeks :)

I've noticed this as well. But for the first time last night I took off from water. With no parking brakes or anchor I found by the time I'd got the engines running smoothly I was at about 30 knots and half a mile away from where I started! And for the second engine, almost 40" MAP was required to stop it from stalling.

I've noticed this as well. But for the first time last night I took off from water. With no parking brakes or anchor I found by the time I'd got the engines running smoothly I was at about 30 knots and half a mile away from where I started! And for the second engine, almost 40" MAP was required to stop it from stalling.

I guess that's what the prop levers are for ;)

Give it a try and you'll find you'll probably be able to around 50%+ on the throttles with the prop levers pulled back and actually go nowhere.

What is the correct way to restart one engine during cruise?

With bad weather, this can happen... (to a beginner).

Could only find somethings about in the emergency procedures (if engine doesn't restart).

Albrecht

• 2 weeks later...
I guess that's what the prop levers are for ;)

Thanks Paul. Hadn't thought of that one. Obvoius once you pointed it out though.