Bell 205 Huey

Nice project, but I am still amazed that their has never, ever, in the history of FS, been a payware version of the mighty CH47. Some developer team somewhere will switch on one day and produce one i'm sure.

Actually there was. The LZ (now closed) had several versions of the Chinook for around $7 each for FS2002/2004. I agree though, a payware FSX version would be very welcome in my hanger. You can get a freeware FSX native one at UKMil.

Actually there was. The LZ (now closed) had several versions of the Chinook for around $7 each for FS2002/2004. I agree though, a payware FSX version would be very welcome in my hanger. You can get a freeware FSX native one at UKMil.

Yeh I flew the LZ's version but it was hardly up to aerosofts standard. Hint Hint.

Hi Sean,

I would like to volunteer to be a beta tester. I think I am quite good at finding problems.

You just have to read my post about the Seahawk and shipyard.

I am not offering this to get a free download, I will still buy the Huey.

At least then I would have nothing to complain about once I bought it.laugh.giflaugh.gif

Regards

Skwinty

Thank you :-), here is a short video of the rotorhead animation.

Really short, only to make appetite ;-)

Of course there are missing some parts, and don't look at the strange colored things :D

Huey rotorhead.wmv

Hmmm... I do realise this is alpha. The input rods to the swashplate are not connected (yet?) and there is something about this and the other (later) video that I can't put my fingers on yet. It's looking darned good though. It all has to do with Bell idiosyncracies and their rotor head design. Still, I have bags of time to check my training notes. ;)

It's that "If it looks too good, there must be something wring" principle at work... Probably nothing.

Hi Sean,

I would like to volunteer to be a beta tester. I think I am quite good at finding problems.

You just have to read my post about the Seahawk and shipyard.

I am not offering this to get a free download, I will still buy the Huey.

At least then I would have nothing to complain about once I bought it.laugh.giflaugh.gif

Regards

Skwinty

Hello Skwinty,

Need to contact J.Schweigler about joining the beta for the Huey :)

• Aerosoft

Was time for another update on the Huey so you can follow progress. And as you will agree there was good progress. We also decided (capitulated more precisely) on how we will handle the flight dynamics. There are several options but all three possibilities that FSX has to offer got their own particular flaws. We are sure however that flying the helicopter will be as realistic as possible. The help from the German Army and other people who fly or flown these whirlybirds is a guarantee for that.

post-43-125984424239_thumb.jpg

post-43-125984424624_thumb.jpg

post-43-125984424952_thumb.jpg

post-43-125984425358_thumb.jpg

post-43-125984425736_thumb.jpg

I never flown Helicopters, but I think will give it a try maybe, since I shortly bought Rudderpedals. Well, let's see.

Looks good so far :)

Flying helicopters in FSX is like trying to balance a spinning plate on a stick - it's tricky to learn at first but once you get the hang of it you will be addicted! Try flying the default Jetranger in FSX for some practice, but the Huey is one of the most easily "flyable" helicopters in the world!

We are sure however that flying the helicopter will be as realistic as possible. The help from the German Army and other people who fly or flown these whirlybirds is a guarantee for that.

That sounds promising. So would you say your Huey will have more realistic flight dynamics than the Nemeth huey?

• Aerosoft

That sounds promising. So would you say your Huey will have more realistic flight dynamics than the Nemeth huey?

Different. I would not use realistic and MSFS in the same sentence regarding helicopter flight models. The simple fact is that the engine type the Huey uses is very much flawed in FSX (and FS2004 and FS2002 etc). We can get the startup procedure right but then the engine power delivery is not okay ect. We can use some of the new items introduced by the Xpack and loose 85% of our customer base, there just is not a solid answer.

I claim the flight model of the Twin Otter we done is ok. I claim the flight model of the Catalina is pretty good. I claim the flight model of our Discus Glider X is one of the best ever done. But in this case it will be as good as FSX can deliver. And that's limited. We can get it spot on in one area but it will be flawed in other sections and vise versa. Some people will tell you different (NOT aiming at Nemeth here btw), that's fine. But we'll tell you that it sure will be as good as our test pilots who fly this chopper think it can be. But the fact is that we are working on a very flawed platform in this regard. All serious companies will tell you the same. For example PMDG that faced the same problems recently. They ended with a very good aircraft, we can only hope to do the same under the same conditions.

• Aerosoft

Flying helicopters in FSX is like trying to balance a spinning plate on a stick - it's tricky to learn at first but once you get the hang of it you will be addicted! Try flying the default Jetranger in FSX for some practice, but the Huey is one of the most easily "flyable" helicopters in the world!

The 22 is a much better model to experiment with. Do stick to moderate realism settings though, as they are way more realistic then the highest settings.

I´m sure the flight dynamics will be all right - at least ist is an Aerosoft Product! What about a sound teaser? Must admit, that a smashing (realistic) sound (and looks) for me are more important than 100% realistic flight dynamics. Reason is, that i often saw, heard and admired those Hueys - but never have flown one (neither abled, nor allowed) - so that is the point, where i could not tell the difference between good and perfect simulation. Spending a lot of time near a hospital where those Hueys used to land and start several times a day i know -and love- the sound. ( i was working there, not Heli spotting!!!)

Kind regard,

Torsten

The 22 is a much better model to experiment with. Do stick to moderate realism settings though, as they are way more realistic then the highest settings.

I would recommend the Bell26 because the R22 has a to slow collective controll in FSX.

It is nearly impossible to maintain a stable hovering flight or a transition between forward flight and hovering.

Regarding the flight dynamics,

Mathijs is right. To mention FSX and a realistic helicopter flignt model in one sentence is a no go. At least with standard sollutions. But we have a very good fligh model expert (John Cagle who has done the Discus flight models) and some picky testers who have flowen the real thing.

We will do it as real as possible of course.

Best regards Joachim

Hey Folks,

One of my betatesters and I got a chance to fly the UH1D in a full mission simulator of the Heeresfliegerwaffenschule in Bueckeburg.

Though we have limited time, we will get a very nice feeling of the real Huey, and of course we will try to put this feeling into our Huey simulation.

It is always a great advantage to have the chance of flying the real aircraft.

So in the end there are 3 people involved with hueyexperience. This should guarantee the most real feeling, FSX is able to handle.

Cheers Joachim

Mathijs is right. To mention FSX and a realistic helicopter flignt model in one sentence is a no go. At least with standard sollutions.

So please, why not apply some non-standard solutions? Certainly with Aerosofts talented people it should be possible, when a two man team built what is the standard of realistic sim helicopters today.

So please, why not apply some non-standard solutions? Certainly with Aerosofts talented people it should be possible, when a two man team built what is the standard of realistic sim helicopters today.

Well atleast its gonna be great for screenshotstongue.gif

Well atleast its gonna be great for screenshotstongue.gif

Haha, not good enough anymore. ;) Especially now that there is already one nice looking Huey recently released, and there are two Hueys coming up that both look great. Unfortunately for Aerosoft the other upcoming Huey will have most systems and dynamics fully simulated. I had hoped that more companies would put more effort into flight dynamics now, instead of keep repeating that it's impossible. There's no reason for releasing aircraft that do not behave like aircraft, imagine someone doing that on a fixed wing... There's always the expense of building workarounds to get a helicopter to work, but if you can't do that don't say you've made a helicopter that is as realistic as can be.

Hello Wildbird,

Depends on what your definition of realistic as can be is, if you are only given certain tools to play with and certain parameters to work in then yes it as realistic as can be.

Its also been proven that when you start trying to be clever and do certain workarounds it can indeed have its consequences on your sim.

I remember such an instance when you loaded a certain companies aircraft and then loaded the Tornado I believe the whole sim crashed due to something "Special" they had tried doing. I'm not saying this is the case all the times with everyone but when you go off the beaten track sometimes you can expect to have consequences.