Bell 205 Huey

• Aerosoft

I got to apologize for sending low detail images into the forum for a new project. There were commercial reasons that forced me to announce the project a few days before we were actually ready to do so. The images we posted are okay for a low poly AI model (and that model will be used for other projects as static). Below you find images of the actual file we are working with. This amazing modeling is done by a new friend of Aerosoft, Charles Gunter (not to be mixed up with our Project Manager Guenter Zehnel!). Charles is a young modeler who is carving himself a reputation with solid and very advanced work. He's a professional who is fully trained on the latest modeling tools. His Bell 205 Huey is superbly detailed, yet highly optimized so though we most likely need to drop some of the smallest details we will be able to make this a smooth and highly detailed project.

The model from Charles will be made into a FSX project by Joachim Schweigler (as his superb glider projects is on hold he got time) and as the project progresses we'll be able to give other well known names who will help us on this project. Clearly this project is intended as a follow up on the Seahawk but how it will be done is not fully determined. The Vietnam era model shown below certainly is part of it, but we also would like to expand it to more modern 205 (they still fly everywhere) after all. Your idea in this are welcome.

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

001.jpg

• Upvote 1

Very nice Mathijs, ooops...I just slid in my drool!

Same here...used to fly them in the military (in the back! :lol: ). Can´t wait to see more pictures! Can we also get a model with German Army (Heer) on it?

• Aerosoft
Same here...used to fly them in the military (in the back! :lol: ). Can´t wait to see more pictures! Can we also get a model with German Army (Heer) on it?

If you used to fly them you are my new best friend! Could you contact me on support@aerosoft.com?

But yes, think we will do a German one for sure.

If you used to fly them you are my new best friend! Could you contact me on support@aerosoft.com?

But yes, think we will do a German one for sure.

It´s an honor to be your new best friend. But I was just a passenger. Like I said in the back!

Oh, now don't get me started on versions of a B205 that I want!!!! :rolleyes::lol:

OK. I'll limit myself to two. One possible, one probably not so... A Dust-off Huey H is the possible one. An earlier 'B' model or similar, probably less so. A 'clean' slick model would do me fine, however...

Looks superb.

Ian P.

Awsome looking model!

I am definatly getting this one!

Now I just have to learn how to fly helos. :rolleyes:

DITTO For me as well

Will give me an excuse to buy a set of rudder peddles

;)

Great pics by the way

Randy

I thought I had run across that name on the web, same guy?

http://www.charlesgunter3d.com/

Impressive model and details as is, perfect for rendering/animations with the movie studios/poser/carrara/etc but lots of unnecessary detail for an FS model that can be duplicated with textures and the normal maps. Look forward to seeing the final results!

I could actually use this model in a project I am working on in Vray, LOL

Mathijs,

As I stated in the low rez post, my father flew these Hueys extensively in Vietnam, logging hundreds + hours. In fact, it is safe to say he was one of the best pilots ever of this copter and was often selected to fly top brass and visiting stars (he has a picture of himself with Gypsy Rose Lee when she entertained the troops, LOL).

I'm sure he would be glad to help out, let me know if you are interested and I will put you in touch.

• Aerosoft
I thought I had run across that name on the web, same guy?

http://www.charlesgunter3d.com/

Impressive model and details as is, perfect for rendering/animations with the movie studios/poser/carrara/etc but lots of unnecessary detail for an FS model that can be duplicated with textures and the normal maps. Look forward to seeing the final results!

I could actually use this model in a project I am working on in Vray, LOL

We'll need to simplify a bit for sure. But keep in mind that all that's done in bitmaps or bumps will not shade. So a real 3d object, if it can be afforded regarding performance, is always better. In the H-1, F-16 and this project we really experiment with maximum modeling. In other project (like the Catalina) it's framerates that rule.

• Aerosoft
Mathijs,

As I stated in the low rez post, my father flew these Hueys extensively in Vietnam, logging hundreds + hours. In fact, it is safe to say he was one of the best pilots ever of this copter and was often selected to fly top brass and visiting stars (he has a picture of himself with Gypsy Rose Lee when she entertained the troops, LOL).

I'm sure he would be glad to help out, let me know if you are interested and I will put you in touch.

For sure, but let's wait a few weeks until we got something running in FSX.

I just hope you guys make it work as good as it looks. I've seen some great models with some awful systems.

Great modeling. Can't wait to see the final result.

I'll assume this level of detail is only available in an FSX model. Which I don't plan on installing (FSX) again

Are there plans for an FS2004 model also? This I would gladly cater too ;)

• Aerosoft
I'll assume this level of detail is only available in an FSX model. Which I don't plan on installing (FSX) again

Are there plans for an FS2004 model also? This I would gladly cater too ;)

No way, not even a fifth of this model could be compiled for FSX. For FS2004 we would need to start a totally new development, which simply will not be worthwhile (and I simply can't get the developers back on FS2004 with all it's restriction).

Mathijs, what about some scenery to go with it, just like the Seahawk package. Though I understand that is easier to realize as the reality effect is easier to create than let's say trying to get a historically correct Vietnam bit of scenery. But even if fictional, I would love to see some sort of scenery from that era. Maybe a couple of firebases etc to fly from.

Anyways, it looks great so far. This is another must have, just like the Cat.

Mathijs, what about some scenery to go with it, just like the Seahawk package. Though I understand that is easier to realize as the reality effect is easier to create than let's say trying to get a historically correct Vietnam bit of scenery. But even if fictional, I would love to see some sort of scenery from that era. Maybe a couple of firebases etc to fly from.

I second. An aircraft that comes with a little extra 'scenery' is pretty cool and really appreciated. I prefer that over a mission... but missions are cool though :rolleyes:

Continue your good work folks and thanks!

Ben.

If Aerosoft doesn't come thru, I'll have some FSX FBs ready when the Huey is Erik ;)

namscenery1wh5.jpg

namscenery2bt9.jpg

Looks great Mathijs !

I know there are still a few flying around in the Swiss and French Alps, helping in putting ski lift masts and other large objects atop the mountains. Watched one work like that last Summer across the valley.

My favorites are the 'Nam heli's though..... I built quite a few scale models of them at the time....

Francois

• Aerosoft
Looks great Mathijs !

I know there are still a few flying around in the Swiss and French Alps, helping in putting ski lift masts and other large objects atop the mountains. Watched one work like that last Summer across the valley.

My favorites are the 'Nam heli's though..... I built quite a few scale models of them at the time....

Francois

We'll first do the UH-1D, the 'Vietnam' type, but later we will also include the 205 civil models. Both types are still flying as you say, they seem to be nearly indestructible and thousands upon thousands have been produced.