Colognex Flickering

g.baron

Hi ,

As happy as I am having my home airport back in the usual excellent design I have enyoyed over the years from the German Arport Designers so sad I am

having a nasty flickering at parts of the airport. Since I don´t experience that flickering with other products from different vendors I asume that this must be the type

of texture used at the some of the German Airport airports ( looks like it is the Ground with trees at some places ).

Tried different settings of my graphic card without any change.

Would be pleased if someone could give advice how to fix that problem.

best regards,

Guenther ( EDDK)

Hi ,

As happy as I am having my home airport back in the usual excellent design I have enyoyed over the years from the German Arport Designers so sad I am

having a nasty flickering at parts of the airport. Since I don´t experience that flickering with other products from different vendors I asume that this must be the type

of texture used at the some of the German Airport airports ( looks like it is the Ground with trees at some places ).

Tried different settings of my graphic card without any change.

Would be pleased if someone could give advice how to fix that problem.

best regards,

Guenther ( EDDK)

Guenther had the same issue but added just mip maps to the ground textures and that solved it :-)

Cheers,

Guenther had the same issue but added just mip maps to the ground textures and that solved it :-)

Cheers,

Hello Andre´

Thank you for your response. How do I add mip maps to the texture?

Many thanks for your help,

Guenther

Hello Guenther,

Can you post some screenshots of the area's you refer to with the co-ords displayed in FSX please.

Hello Shaun,

Thanks for your fast reponse. I can post some screenshots when I am at home again this weekend. but it might not show the problem , because when I pause the sim

the flickering or call it shimmering is not visual. The hole airport is flickering if you approach it from some distance. I don´t have the problem with Leipzig or Frankfurt.

I think it isn´t unique to my installation.

Best regards, Guenther

Same here :( No problems with Leipzig.

Basically the shimmering is VERY noticable at the airport scenery boundary where it seems to be overlayed onto the original texture.

I would also like to know which textures need to have mipmaps added.

Maybe there's no flickering with the VFR scenery installed?

But in general EDDK, EDDV and EDDP are very very nice sceneries. Congratulations.

Been there a lot of times IRL and it's very realistic :)

What is a problem is that EDDV doesn't fit into the surrounding scenery at all concerning the colours. (Same for EDDP but to a much lesser extent)

Also at EDDK but as there's the city and woods around it's not obvious

It seems that these sceneries are optimized for the VFR germany package..

Hello,

the shimmering is there if you have VFR1 installed or not. I have tried all possibile combinations, even de-installed VFR1 and German Landmarks ...no luck.

Cheers, Guenther

Hello,

the shimmering is there if you have VFR1 installed or not. I have tried all possibile combinations, even de-installed VFR1 and German Landmarks ...no luck.

Cheers, Guenther

Changed with image tool in a batch (write a little bat file that does the job)

All textures with air in it are changed + other ground stuff only the *.bmp files not the lm maps + one batch in DXT1 and one for the air in DXT3.

This dos command line will do the trick also...

imagetool.exe -r -batch -DXT1 -detail -e bmp *.bmp

imagetool.exe -r -batch -DXT3 -detail -e bmp *.bmp

Make sure to start it in a conversion directory folder which consist imagetool and without the lm maps...

Cheers,

André

All textures with air in it are changed + other ground stuff only the *.bmp files not the lm maps + one batch in DXT1 and one for the air in DXT3.

Make sure to start it in a conversion directory folder which consist imagetool and without the lm maps...

Cheers,

André

Hi Andre´

Many thanks for your help. I am not sure if I am capeable to do that but will try tomorrow to find that image tool and have a go.

Best regards, Guenther

Hello Guenther,

Can you post some screenshots of the area's you refer to with the co-ords displayed in FSX please.

Hello Shaun,

just uploaded a screen shot, but as I said before its doesn´t show the shimmering which looks really awful while flying. Its not only Cologne in FSX but also the Fs9 version. Frankfurt for example is cristal clear.

Best regards, Guenther

fsscr002.bmp

fsscr014.bmp

Cheers,

André

Hello Andre´,

created Mip Maps for all BMP you have suggested.....and it works !!!!! found the image tool in the the terrain folder of the FSX SDK :-)).

Again many thanks for your help ( you should work for the Support of Aerosoft )

Best regards, Guenther ( EDDK )

Hello Shaun,

Thanks for your fast reponse. I can post some screenshots when I am at home again this weekend. but it might not show the problem , because when I pause the sim

the flickering or call it shimmering is not visual. The hole airport is flickering if you approach it from some distance. I don´t have the problem with Leipzig or Frankfurt.

I think it isn´t unique to my installation.

Best regards, Guenther

Hello Shaun,

thanks to the help of Andre´Folkers the problem can be closed.

Best regards, Guenther ( who is happily enyoing EDDK again )

• 10 months later...

Hello Guenther,

Shaun can u help me with the shimmering thing, I took the time to read all of these posts, did my research, got image tool and tried to do it myself but I am so lost. Alot of my German Aerosoft Airports are like this.