EDLW - doublebooked parking positions

hotelfox

Today I flew to EDLW - Dortmund. I was quite surprised to find two of the parking positions double-booked.

post-18832-1230217275_thumb.jpg

Slightly irritated I immediately uninstalled GA2, remembering this tiny check-box which offered the option to disable static traffic at the GA2-destinations.

The re-installation of GA2 - with special attention to the mentioned check-box (!!) - didn' t cause any changes.

The attached screenshot only shows one gate with 2 acft at almost the same position. The second (B737 Tunis-Air) has just left the gate ...

Did anybody encounter the same phenomenon and - are there any solutions to circumnavigate it?

Just for Info: I have installed MyTrafficX.

Regards from Bavaria,

HF

It sounds like you might have a duplicate afcad file. If you are using FS9 try downloading scanafd.zip or if you are using FSX try airport_scanner_08.zip from avsim to check for any duplicate files you may have.

It sounds like you might have a duplicate afcad file. If you are using FS9 try downloading scanafd.zip or if you are using FSX try airport_scanner_08.zip from avsim to check for any duplicate files you may have.

Thanks, Stewart! Though I have no idea where the second afcad file should come from I' ll double-check using the airport_scanner_08 as soon as my new PC will run again (I am answering from my old backup machine with Win98).

I' ll keep you posted.

HF

I use Ultimate Traffic myself and I know that adds afcads for many airports. If MyTrafficX does this too and German Airports 2 adds its afcad files then thats where the duplicate files will most likely be found. If you do find any duplicate files. Rather than delete them just rename them to .bgx files instead of .bgl then you can always change them back if you dont like the one thats left. Every time I add a new airport scenery I alway use the afcad that comes with it and rename my ultimate traffic afcad as AI addon afcads are usually designed for default airports.

I use Ultimate Traffic myself and I know that adds afcads for many airports. If MyTrafficX does this too and German Airports 2 adds its afcad files then thats where the duplicate files will most likely be found. If you do find any duplicate files. Rather than delete them just rename them to .bgx files instead of .bgl then you can always change them back if you dont like the one thats left. Every time I add a new airport scenery I alway use the afcad that comes with it and rename my ultimate traffic afcad as AI addon afcads are usually designed for default airports.

I wasn' t able to idetify a file called airport_scanner, neither on avsim.net nor on flightsim.com.

Thanks anyway!

Last not least: Happy New Year - best wishes for 2009 from Bavaria!

HF

I wasn' t able to idetify a file called airport_scanner, neither on avsim.net nor on flightsim.com.

Thanks anyway!

Last not least: Happy New Year - best wishes for 2009 from Bavaria!

HF

type in "airport_scanner_08.zip" without the "" into the search box at the avsim file library and it will come up with the file. Ive just checked for you and it is there. It was posted on the 13 december. hope this helps. Oh, and Happy New Year from Scotland!

type in "airport_scanner_08.zip" without the "" into the search box at the avsim file library and it will come up with the file. Ive just checked for you and it is there. It was posted on the 13 december. hope this helps. Oh, and Happy New Year from Scotland!

Bermudas triangle - that' s what I did when you told me first and that' s what I did now ...

This time it worked! Bull' s eye (probably the file was on vacation ...)!!

Bermudas triangle - that' s what I did when you told me first and that' s what I did now ...

This time it worked! Bull' s eye (probably the file was on vacation ...)!!

The result:

AF2.edlw.bgl - 129-Aerosoft AFD, User

and

BR2-EDLW.BGL - 121-MyTrafficX, User

To be frank - this info doesn' t mean that much to me!

Rename BR2-EDLW.BGL to BR2-EDLW.BGX and that should solve your problem.

AF2.edlw.bgl is the afcad file that came with the addon airport and BR2-EDLW.BGL is the afcad that came with My traffic for that same particular airport. Therefore they can be considered duplicate afcads.

Edit: Ive just had a look on the My traffic support forum and another soloution Burkhard (author of My Traffic) suggests Is to put any individual airport in scenery library above MyTraffic. He says the best place for MyTraffic is between "addon scenery" and "Propellor objects" in your scenery library list. But in my experience it is never a good idea to have duplicate afcad files in Flight simulator anyway so I would try the renaming option first.

Duplicate afcads have been known to cause all sorts of problems in flight sim including crashes to desktop in FS9. I'm not sure if that problem was ever addressed in FSX but its better not to take the chance I think.

Rename BR2-EDLW.BGL to BR2-EDLW.BGX and that should solve your problem.

AF2.edlw.bgl is the afcad file that came with the addon airport and BR2-EDLW.BGL is the afcad that came with My traffic for that same particular airport. Therefore they can be considered duplicate afcads.

Edit: Ive just had a look on the My traffic support forum and another soloution Burkhard (author of My Traffic) suggests Is to put any individual airport in scenery library above MyTraffic. He says the best place for MyTraffic is between "addon scenery" and "Propellor objects" in your scenery library list. But in my experience it is never a good idea to have duplicate afcad files in Flight simulator anyway so I would try the renaming option first.

Duplicate afcads have been known to cause all sorts of problems in flight sim including crashes to desktop in FS9. I'm not sure if that problem was ever addressed in FSX but its better not to take the chance I think.

That sounds intelligable! Thanks for the perfect support, Stewart!

HF

That sounds intelligable! Thanks for the perfect support, Stewart!

HF

Some more notes on this topic:

'airport_scanner' doesn' t show me duplicate bgl-files for EDLW anymore. But the problem still occurs.

post-18832-1230988769_thumb.jpg

Looking at the available files I discovered the file 'AF2_edlw_with_static_airplanes.off'

As far as I understand FSX the file cannot work as long as its ending is 'off'. Funny enough that it seems to be 'off' although I had an extra focus on this tiny check-box which allows me to disable the static traffic ...

Additionally I would like to mention that for EDDP (EDDP is part of GA2 as well) aiport_scanner even indicates 3 bgl-files! 2 of them are part of the folder called AFD\scenery within the aerosoft folder.

They are called:

EDDP_APP.bgl

AF2_EDDP.bgl

Finally, I think that there might be some more customers having installed GA2 and MyTrafficX. So probably I' m not the only one dealing with this issue. Maybe this topic should be addressed directly in the installing routine?

Regards from Bavaria,

HF

I dont think EDDP_APP.bgl is an afcad file so thats not likely to be a problem. But it does seem as though your stattic aircraft are activated. You will have to deactivate it. Sorry but I dont have this product so I cant say if you can do that after it has been installed or if you will need to do a re install.

I dont think EDDP_APP.bgl is an afcad file so thats not likely to be a problem. But it does seem as though your stattic aircraft are activated. You will have to deactivate it. Sorry but I dont have this product so I cant say if you can do that after it has been installed or if you will need to do a re install.

Same old story! After installing GA2 for the 3rd time, again with special attention to the check-box, I found the same static aircraft on the apron.

post-18832-1231011913_thumb.jpg

I also double-checked again if the bgl-files of MyTrafficX are disabled - yes they are!

I' d appreciate if somebody from the GA-team would take a look at this.

Thank you for your effort, Stewart. My preference was to send you a better result!

HF

Hello HF,

Try disabling the afcad that comes with the GAP scenery and then check to see if the parking space is used by only one aircraft.

If you are positive its an AI aircraft then try setting your AI slider to zero and it should disappear, if it stays then its a static.

Hello HF,

Try disabling the afcad that comes with the GAP scenery and then check to see if the parking space is used by only one aircraft.

If you are positive its an AI aircraft then try setting your AI slider to zero and it should disappear, if it stays then its a static.

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for your prompt reply! I tried various settings:

post-18832-1231060017_thumb.jpg post-18832-1231060069_thumb.jpg post-18832-1231060116_thumb.jpg

From left to right (AI traffic disabled)

- default afcad/bgl-file

- MyTrafficX afcad/bgl-file

- Ga2 afcad/bgl-file

Additional info - I chose the AirCreation Trike for my tests. Pic no. 3 shows that it shares its parking position with one of the three present airliners. I am pretty sure that they must be static objects.

Regards from Bavaria,

HF

The first screenshot confirms that it is indeed static aircraft that are showing up. You say you have installed GA2 three times. Are you actually doing an uninstall before a re-install or merely re-installing over the top of your existing installation? to do a proper re-install you should first ensure that that GA2 has been completely removed from your system. If GA2 comes with an uninstaller, then use that or use the add/remove programs option in Windows to remove it. That should ensure that all files are removed. If you just re-install over an existing install it will simply overwrite the existing files and probably wont remove the static aircraft file. An easier solution would be to simply remove the BGL that contains the static aircraft if you can identify it. Perhaps someone from GA can help with that?

The first screenshot confirms that it is indeed static aircraft that are showing up. You say you have installed GA2 three times. Are you actually doing an uninstall before a re-install or merely re-installing over the top of your existing installation? to do a proper re-install you should first ensure that that GA2 has been completely removed from your system. If GA2 comes with an uninstaller, then use that or use the add/remove programs option in Windows to remove it. That should ensure that all files are removed. If you just re-install over an existing install it will simply overwrite the existing files and probably wont remove the static aircraft file. An easier solution would be to simply remove the BGL that contains the static aircraft if you can identify it. Perhaps someone from GA can help with that?

Meanwhile - yes! Each time I uninstalled GA2 I had Windows remove the software from my comp. By the way - Windows forwards the task to the Install Shield attached to the specific software. Not enough, I even had a close look at various files where I thought that some data of GA2 might still exist. Various files of 'German Airfields' for instance share the same folder (Aerosoft\AFD) with GA2. I wasn' t sure if the relevant files had been removed, but yes - they were all gone! Same procedure - both times!

I' d like to enter upon your question: Perhaps someone from GA can help with that? btw: What about the correction of the starting points at EDWR ('German Airfields')?? - o.k., I know, that' s a different story!

Thanks again, Stewart!

Hello HF,

You should be able to identify the bgl with statics in as they normally have stat in the filename.

Search the appropriate scenery folder using stat as the search option.

Hi Shaun,

As mentioned before, there is a file with the word 'static' in its name:

post-18832-1231246322_thumb.jpg

But as you can see the ending is 'off' instead of 'bgl'. So I think it really is 'off'(?). Please correct me if I' m wrong.

HF

Hi Shaun,

As mentioned before, there is a file with the word 'static' in its name:

post-18832-1231246322_thumb.jpg

But as you can see the ending is 'off' instead of 'bgl'. So I think it really is 'off'(?). Please correct me if I' m wrong.

HF

I just went through some more folders, trying to find files related to EDLW with the word 'static' in their name.

Finally I found 'edlw_9_stat' within Aerosoft\German Airports 2\scenery. I changed its ending from 'bgl' to 'bgx'. As it seems to me, the previously observed static aircraft are gone now. I' ll doublecheck if there are similar problems with other GA2 destinations during the next days.

Thanks,

HF