Antarctica X Preview (released, topic closed)

Sasa

Simple but true: This project will cover a whole continent in one single addon!

Be prepared for a world you have never ever seen or experienced before in Flight Simulator. You like everything what brings you to new limits in aviation, no matter if visual, military or airliner pilot? Then this scenery is for you!

You thought Lukla - Mount Everest was exciting? This scenery from the same developer will show you that it can get even better!

Please note that all the screenshots here are work in progress and are just intended to give you a very first impression. The final product will look much better!

big01.jpg

big02.jpg

big03.jpg

big04.jpg

big05.jpg

Looks amazing. I dreamed of something like this since I saw Michael Palin fly into Rothera with a DC 6 during his Pole-to-Pole journey :)

Not sure if that old bird is still flying there?

Good news... a beautiful place to fly. Any wild life included to look for when flying?... penguins, leopard seals and maybe a pod of Killer whales :)

Is this a side effect of gov and NGO monitoring for signs of global warming? Better elevation and photoscenery coverage so that you can make an entire uninhabited continent into highly detailed scenery for FSX?

Developers,

I always wanted a Polar Scenery package to fly my CaptainSim C-130 or Aerosoft's Twin Otter X (on Ski's) from Orbx's Australia's sceneries to the Poles and back or Aerosoft's SeaHawk X for SAR stuff over a wilderness area looking for survivors. Thank you for a pleasent surprise. B)

It is now on my list. ;)

• Upvote 3

• Aerosoft
FSX only?...

Yes, there are so many parts of this scenery that can only be done in FSX (there will be 15 cm textures and even denser, yeah, mesh around some of the bases. There will be missions, you will hear the wind howl etc) and so few potential FS2004 customers that a FS2004 is simply not possible. No disrespect but for any scenery that is not major airport based but seriously VFR like this one there simply is no option. The FS2004 version would be a pale comparison next to the FSX version and bad for our reputation as they would be compared in some review somewhere sometime.

Don't be angry. We need the options and the customer base of FSX to make successful and profitable products at this moment.

Ohhh excellent ! Would you believe the calendar I have hanging in my kitchen is one showing scenes from Antarctica ? ! The place is really fascinating.

Aerosoft now needs to take Milton Shupe onboard, do a native FSX Dash 7 and release it in the British Antarctic Survey livery. Here she is at Duxford a couple of years ago.

Dash01.jpg

;)

Yes, there are so many parts of this scenery that can only be done in FSX (there will be 15 cm textures and even denser, yeah, mesh around some of the bases. There will be missions, you will hear the wind howl etc) and so few potential FS2004 customers that a FS2004 is simply not possible. No disrespect but for any scenery that is not major airport based but seriously VFR like this one there simply is no option. The FS2004 version would be a pale comparison next to the FSX version and bad for our reputation as they would be compared in some review somewhere sometime.

Don't be angry. We need the options and the customer base of FSX to make successful and profitable products at this moment.

I truly understand Mathijs. I am moving torward the idea of running both platfoms on two different systems. It is mosty an airport issue for me. A lot of airports in FS9 I can't get in FSX and vise-versa.

James, you are terribly funny! My CS-C130 on skis would be awesome with this senery! I wish I could get my Wilco A400M with skis too!!! Wilco, HINT!! And landing an A320 on ice sounds fun!! I hope that senery gets a specail south pole version of AES!!!

Cheers!

Back to topic, this scenery looks great and a very pleasant surprise... Been thinking about such a scenery myself...

I hope to see more creative Aerosoft products in the future!

Hi

You should be sure to get the Norwegian Scientific station called Troll into the scenery as well. All I know is that it is in Dronning Mauds land at 72 deg. south some 240 km from the coast at 1275m above sealevel.

Fred

You should be sure to get the Norwegian Scientific station called Troll into the scenery as well.

Let me guess: That's because you are Norwegian? :P

I would have loved to do many other stations. But I have to focus on those stations where I either got the best data for or the best support from their home divisions or local staff in the bases (yes, most of the scientists and workers do have internet down there!). All other bases with less detail with have at least their runways or helipads displayed. Depending on the sales of the Antarctica scenery I'm planning to do some additional bases. But that only if the scenery sells really as good as I expect it - meaning like Lukla - Mount Everest.

About the British Antarctic Survey: Don't worry. I have a pretty good contact over there and the UK bases will be best represented of all. Of course I'm planning to insert a Dash-7 in Rothera but this one will only be static (or maybe AI), but my job is as a scenery developer is not to make it an aircraft addon.

Bests,

Sascha

Hi Sascha,

I'm guessing this addon is going to concentrate on the coastal areas of Antarcita. I've noticed that despite now being round the FSX world does behave rather oddly at very hi/low latitudes.

Let me guess: That's because you are Norwegian? :P

I would have loved to do many other stations.

Polar expeditions and research has always been a niche by the Norwegians. The first expedition to the south pole was an Norwegian expedition led by Roald Amundsen. I also understand that there is a lot activity at the Troll base. You can not do an Antartica scenery without a single Norwegian base ;)

I've noticed that despite now being round the FSX world does behave rather oddly at very hi/low latitudes.

I know, but despite of that i have to ask one question: are you going to include the Amundsen-Scott station

which is located on the south pole?

Including that station would make it possible to make flights from the McMurdo station to the pole with a special C130

as in the real world... ;)

Even if the scenery doesn't contain the Amundsen-Scott station, you can count me as a buyer of this scenery.

A brilliant idea to make Antarctis for FsX.

Welmux

As far as I know there are a couple of refueling stations between the pole and the coastal stations. They are basically a few barrels of fuel marked by a pole sticking in the snow.

(In the Michael Palin documentary - which I can recommend by the way - they refueled at on at Kings Peak).

Will any of those be included. Otherwise it is quite far for small aircraft to go the whole way.