Pby Mission Not Working

schnurps1

Hi,

I just tried to fly the mission supplied with the Catalina add-on, but I got a problem. The briefing before loading the mission shows up just fine, but after I press the "Fly!" button and the loading has finished, the aircraft just sits there in the water - no co-pilot, no information what to do (not even in the keepad). I even started the engines and flew around a bit on my own, but nothing seems to happen.

Additionally, when I press ESC, I get the normal, small "free-flight" abort screen, not the mission abort screen I would expect.

So to me it seems the mission did not load at all :unsure:

I am running FSX with SP2 (no acceleration pack) on Vista Home (32bit), logged on with an administrator account and running FSX with administrator privileges.

Best regards

Andreas

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aerosoft
Hi,

I just tried to fly the mission supplied with the Catalina add-on, but I got a problem. The briefing before loading the mission shows up just fine, but after I press the "Fly!" button and the loading has finished, the aircraft just sits there in the water - no co-pilot, no information what to do (not even in the keepad). I even started the engines and flew around a bit on my own, but nothing seems to happen.

Additionally, when I press ESC, I get the normal, small "free-flight" abort screen, not the mission abort screen I would expect.

So to me it seems the mission did not load at all :unsure:

I am running FSX with SP2 (no acceleration pack) on Vista Home (32bit), logged on with an administrator account and running FSX with administrator privileges.

Best regards

Andreas

Ok, let me check this out...

I have exactly the same problem.

I tried to decompile the .spb file and it gave me an error.

fsscr059-1.jpg

Maybe this would help you to diagnose the problem.

It does not load as a Mission as the previous member said.

Regards

Gilles Dubois

I also have the same exact problem. I run XP and FSX with SP2(no acceleration). Here's where it gets weird, I tried to run one of the stock FSX missions and it does the same thing. This is the first time I've ever had problems with the missions. Is it possible that installing the Cat could have changed something globally in FSX???

STEVE

Hello FlameOut!

I was able to successfully complete this mission a couple of days ago ! ^_^

Out of curiosity - may I ask what version of the FSX you are running? Especially SP1, SP2 or maybe Acceleration Pack?

Regards

Andreas

Ruinning XP64 - FSX + Accel -

Finished mission - no problems other than losing an engine 1/2 way into the mission. Flew the rest with one engine. Completed with no problems.

Only thing I noticed which I considered strange - when engine caught fire, the co-pilot said nothing. Since it was on HIS side, you'd at least think he'd mention we have a problem! :)

Fun mission.

Vic

The PBY Mission does not load on my set-up either. Like Andreas, I have the same problems he is having with the Bush Hawk missions, so there may be some correlation.

My system is Vista Home 32 bit.

I am running FSX, SP2, no Acceleration, with FSUIPC licenseed and ASX installed, but not running for missions.

SW

The PBY Mission does not load on my set-up either. Like Andreas, I have the same problems he is having with the Bush Hawk missions, so there may be some correlation.

My system is Vista Home 32 bit.

I am running FSX, SP2, no Acceleration, with FSUIPC licenseed and ASX installed, but not running for missions.

SW

Hello again,

I just tested the mission on a different computer with fresh Win7 (32bit) install. Installed FSX (Professional), then SP1 and SP2 and finally the Catalina. FSX runs with admin privileges. But still the mission does not load correctly, just as before.

Unfortunately I don't have the acceleration pack, so I can't check out if installing it would indeed solve this issue.

But as Bumprock already mentioned, we both have the same issue with some of the missions that come with the BushHawkXP addon - and in the thread discussing the problem (http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=24925), another user reported fixing it by installing the acceleration pack. So I think you might be on to something here, Gilles ^_^

Regards,

Andreas

The symptoms you are all describing sounds like there is a scenery object, trigger, or action in the mission which is Acceleration SDK specific. I had this happen to me numerous times while creating missions for my flight club. It became such a problem that we now require folks to have the Acceleration pack in order to run the club missions.

The mission briefing will appear no problem. But as soon as you enter the mission it basically turns into a free flight. You will get the free flight exit screen when you exit.

Unfortunately there is no fix for the problem except to get Acceleration. That is, unless Aerosoft releases a new version of the mission. But if the suspect scenery object, trigger, or action is key to the mission, I doubt they will do that.

It is only my opinion but I'm not really sure why someone who uses FSX would not get the Acceleration pack. It adds 3 new aircraft, extra scenery, and multipayer racing for a reasonable price. If you don't have it, I really do recommend getting it but that's just my opinion.

Mike Lanza

DVFC

This is just one more case in point: SP2 and Acceleration are not the same thing.

During testing on the Flight1 Mustang, we found things that worked with SP2 that did not work so well with Acceleration. I have Acceleration, but uninstalled it during testing on the Mustang, and haven't found a reason to go back to it. One mission object isn't enough to get me to "upset the apple cart" -- my FSX is working fine right now.

I do hope that Aerosoft will make the Catalina mission pack compatible with both SP2 and Acceleration, though. This is a brilliant plane, and it fairly aches for some good quality missions.

This is just one more case in point: SP2 and Acceleration are not the same thing.

During testing on the Flight1 Mustang, we found things that worked with SP2 that did not work so well with Acceleration. I have Acceleration, but uninstalled it during testing on the Mustang, and haven't found a reason to go back to it. One mission object isn't enough to get me to "upset the apple cart" -- my FSX is working fine right now.

I'm curious, what things are you talking about with the Flight1 Mustang? SP2 and Acceleration ARE the same except for the SDK. SP2 is built into Acceleration but has its own SDK. What you are saying about the Flight1 Mustang makes no sense at all.

Mike Lanza

DVFC

Mike,

Clearly, if the mission included with the Catalina works for those with Acceleration but does not work for those with SP2, then the two are not the same. If they were the same, they wouldn't need separate SDKs, and the mission here would work for everyone.

During the development process of the Mustang, we did indeed find that there are distinct differences between the SP2 SDK and the Acceleration SDK -- it is not merely a matter of certain scenery or effects that are distributed with Acceleration and not with SP2, but at the core of the two SDKs. A programmer who has encountered these differences would be able to give you a more detailed answer, and I apologize that I cannot. What I can tell you is that during the development process of the Mustang, we encountered problems that occurred for testers using Acceleration and not for those using "only" SP2. In order to prove that a particular problem was related to differences between SP2 and Acceleration, I uninstalled SP2 and installed Acceleration, and went from NOT having the issue in question to HAVING it. Uninstalling Acceleration and reinstalling SP2 subsequently cleared the problem. I was not the only tester who performed this test. All of us involved with the Mustang testing came away from that beta period convinced that SP2 and Acceleration are not the same. That you may not have seen any problems with the Mustang is testament to the skill of the developers there, figuring out a way to work within both SDKs at the same time.

Yes, Microsoft has told us that SP2 and Acceleration are the same, except that you get some airplanes and scenery and effects with Acceleration that you don't get with SP2, but this was an oversimplification on their part, which at least two developers have discovered the hard way.

There was a lively discussion in the Avsim forums about this late last year, and it's unfortunate that I can't point you to that thread any more. You might find more information about this at flightsim.com, or here on the Aerosoft forum in the early discussions regarding the F-16's initial release.

Yoda - if what you're saying is true then I would not be able to develop missions for SP2 BUT I can create those missions with the Acceleration SDK as long as I don't use certain triggers, scenery, etc. If what you're saying is true, I don't see how that would be possible.

I have heard this argument before and I personally have never seen any proof that this is true. Quite the opposite. We can agree to disagree and that's fine. But I still say that if what you're saying is true, then I would not be able to create missions for SP2 with the Acceleration SDK but I can and have done it. I am a mission developer and quite familiar with the differences between the two SDK's. The ONLY difference is that the Acceleration SDK has more options available. So once again, I still say I don't know why anyone who uses FSX would not add Acceleration.

Mike Lanza

DVFC

What about my question.

Will the mission be fixed for those that only use FSX SP2 WITHOUT ACCELERATION ?

The system requirements state that it is for FSX SP2 OR Acceleration.

System requirements:

Microsoft Flight Simulator X (SP2 or Acceleration)

Windows XP / Vista / Windows7 with the latest Service Packs (Vista not recommended)

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU (2x 2666Mhz) or equivalent (Core 2 Quad CPU recommended)

2 GB RAM

DX9 Graphic Card with at least 512 MB

Mouse with mouse wheel

Download-Size: 300 MB

Installation-Size: 1.1 GB

Regards

Gilles Dubois

FSX with SP2

Mike,

I can live with agreeing to disagree...from a mission creation standpoint, what you're saying is undoubtedly true.

Gilles and I do have that question remaining, however -- will there be a fix for the existing mission, and will subsequent missions for the PBY be usable by those of us who do not have Acceleration installed?

Mike,

I can live with agreeing to disagree...from a mission creation standpoint, what you're saying is undoubtedly true.

Gilles and I do have that question remaining, however -- will there be a fix for the existing mission, and will subsequent missions for the PBY be usable by those of us who do not have Acceleration installed?

Fair enough! LOL! Well, I can only say that once Aerosoft identifies the scenery object, trigger or whatever it is that's causing the problem, it really shouldn't be all that difficult to fix it for SP2 as long as the item is not essential to that specific mission. If it were in .xml format I could find the problem in about 1 minute but alas it's compiled into an .spb file.

I hope they do it fix it for you guys. Since it does clearly state SP2 or Acceleration, that only seems the stand up thing to do.

Mike Lanza

DVFC