The new forums

• Aerosoft

Gents, as you have seen we have just updated our forums system. Actually it is a lot more then just a forum system and that's why I called it Community Services. In the next few days I will explain a few of the new options, today the brand new file library.

The file library (shown as download on the page) holds files you like to share with other users. We also use it but it is in first line intended so you can share your mods/repaints/what ever with others. Right now it holds mostly FSX repaints but before the weekend you will see new categories, like scenery tweaks, sounds, AES aircraft configurations etc. If we miss a section just let me know and we'll add it but keep in mind it got to be related to any product we sell, we are not going to compete with AVSIM and Flightsim.com. Uploading is very easy:

• Select the right category
  • Just give it a name
  • copy your readme to the text section (or type something you like)
  • select a image (2 Mb max, size doesn't matter)
  • and the zip file (for now zip only, we are working on other compressions like rar and 7z)

You file will now be seen by all others with a nice text and the image you selected. At the same time an announcement will be automatically done in the New File Notification forum, Of course we expect you to be strict on copyrights etc. We have already uploaded some repaints from other users (without asking for permission btw, think it would be okay). Of course we like to see you upload to other websites as well, but logic determines that sending it here will make it easiest to find for other users.

To get this started we'll give out a free download to every person who uploads 3 files. When you got three files uploaded contact support@aerosoft.com to get your price.

Hi,

I'm only able to see the forums when I enter via the File Library, and then choose the Lo-Fi option. If I choose the normal option, get a Content Decoding Error in, FF3.1, FF3.5, IE7.0 enIE8.0.

What can I do?

• Aerosoft

Hi,

I'm only able to see the forums when I enter via the File Library, and then choose the Lo-Fi option. If I choose the normal option, get a Content Decoding Error in, FF3.1, FF3.5, IE7.0 enIE8.0.

What can I do?

That's a strange one, we got 36 users logged into that section right now, has to be something in your settings. You got non standard settings on the browsers? Could you send me an image with the error?

I'm also having probs with this new forum. Sometimes the page loads fine and other times I get this. Refreshing sometimes works -sometimes doesn't.

post-18881-124707639599_thumb.jpg

Gents, as you have seen we have just updated our forums system. Actually it is a lot more then just a forum system and that's why I called it Community Services. In the next few days I will explain a few of the new options, today the brand new file library.

Guten Tag, the new Community Services are looking good (Vista IE8 here).

One of the most read contributions is

http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=21922

Horten229 offers a radar enhancement for aerosoft F-16

His attached file is produces

An Error Occurred

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

[#10173] We could not find the attachment you were attempting to view.

Has aerosoft supressed this contribution ? I do not think so.

Any help?

At the bottom of the screen is a [delete my cookies]. Do try that one.

Thanks Mathijs, tried that but still not working (well, only sometimes)

Browser is IE6 on XP SP2

Hi guys!

I really like the new style. It looks much more professional. Also the new possibility for file up- and download is a great benefit!

At this point I miss a function from the old style, but maybe it depends on me.

When I use the "view new Content" function I get all threads in the right order, but I can't get to the last post in each with one click like before. I only see when the last post in each thread was done and can access the profile of the user who posted it. I miss the direct link to that post here...

Did I miss something here? Will this function be added? I mostly used this option before, so it would be nice if this could be integrated again! Thanks!!!

Any other suggestions for me to try and get the forums to appear properly? This is really messing my enjoyment of the forums that worked fine before the 'upgrade' sad.gif

• Aerosoft

Hi guys!

I really like the new style. It looks much more professional. Also the new possibility for file up- and download is a great benefit!

At this point I miss a function from the old style, but maybe it depends on me.

When I use the "view new Content" function I get all threads in the right order, but I can't get to the last post in each with one click like before. I only see when the last post in each thread was done and can access the profile of the user who posted it. I miss the direct link to that post here...

Did I miss something here? Will this function be added? I mostly used this option before, so it would be nice if this could be integrated again! Thanks!!!

We'll have a look at that. There are a zillion functions so perhaps there is something not switched on.

• Aerosoft

Any other suggestions for me to try and get the forums to appear properly? This is really messing my enjoyment of the forums that worked fine before the 'upgrade' sad.gif

Not really. We had over 50.000 hits on the new forums (and it is being used on thousands of sites) so it got to be something that is different on your system. Is your browser fully up to date?

Not really. We had over 50.000 hits on the new forums (and it is being used on thousands of sites) so it got to be something that is different on your system. Is your browser fully up to date?

Well it's IE6 - so it's not that up to date, but I don't have any probs with other forums using the same board. My laptop has vista and is working fine - so it's only on XP and IE6. I can't believe I'm the only one - surely! unsure.gif

• Aerosoft

Well it's IE6 - so it's not that up to date, but I don't have any probs with other forums using the same board. My laptop has vista and is working fine - so it's only on XP and IE6. I can't believe I'm the only one - surely! unsure.gif

Okay that's solved then, IE6 is 3 years out of date by now (and these days VERY unsafe btw, I would never use a credit card with a browser that old) and lacks a lot of the functionality that these more modern sites need. I just checked the logfiles and we got 0.3% of people that are using IE6 to log on so it is very small amount that could have problems. I checked with IPBoard and you will have the same problem with every site that uses IPboard 3 as we do. As this is rather new not a lot do. You were not the only one today, there was one other user who will have had the same problems.

If you got reasons not to update IE (and I do see the issue there) consider another browser that is more modern and safe. For example Firefox. It will take you a few days to adjust but you most likely never look back. The majority of people on our forums uses Firefox for very good reasons. But the forum is fully compatible with IE8 and 99.9% with IE7 (as long as it is fully updated).

Sorry about the problem, but there is nothing we can do about it besides not updating our systems to better and more usable software.

Okay that's solved then, IE6 is 3 years out of date by now (and these days VERY unsafe btw, I would never use a credit card with a browser that old) and lacks a lot of the functionality that these more modern sites need. I just checked the logfiles and we got 0.3% of people that are using IE6 to log on so it is very small amount that could have problems. I checked with IPBoard and you will have the same problem with every site that uses IPboard 3 as we do. As this is rather new not a lot do. You were not the only one today, there was one other user who will have had the same problems.

If you got reasons not to update IE (and I do see the issue there) consider another browser that is more modern and safe. For example Firefox. It will take you a few days to adjust but you most likely never look back. The majority of people on our forums uses Firefox for very good reasons. But the forum is fully compatible with IE8 and 99.9% with IE7 (as long as it is fully updated).

Sorry about the problem, but there is nothing we can do about it besides not updating our systems to better and more usable software.

Thanks for your full explanation. I'll continue to use my laptop' vista' to access this forum and 'think' about updating my desktop. Aerosoft support, as usual, is excellent. biggrin.gif

(btw I think you mean updating 'your' systems to better and more usable software not 'our' laugh.gif )

Thanks Mathijs.

Shaun, Mathijs,

could we please change the default link behaviour? It seems like all links (unless specified otherwise (but how?)) do not open a new window like they're supposed to. You always have to right-click "open in new window" as you can see here.

Could we please change that?