Nice cote d'azur graphic problems

tulma

Hi all :)

I purchased and installed Nice airport yesterday. Wonderfull addon but I've some graphic problems on it, like shimmering or flashing with some textures.

I think maybe it's a problem with transparent textures.

I use Vista64, Q9550, Geforce GTX 260, Antialiasing 16xS and anisotropic 8x

Can you help to solve this problem

Thank you :)

I made 2 videos in FSX but I can't attach them here : "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file"

• Aerosoft

Hi all :)

I purchased and installed Nice airport yesterday. Wonderfull addon but I've some graphic problems on it, like shimmering or flashing with some textures.

I think maybe it's a problem with transparent textures.

I use Vista64, Q9550, Geforce GTX 260, Antialiasing 16xS and anisotropic 8x

Can you help to solve this problem

Thank you :)

I made 2 videos in FSX but I can't attach them here : "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file"

Think that's because you are using DX10 preview mode. As the manual explains, the high definition textures never work well in that mode.

Think that's because you are using DX10 preview mode. As the manual explains, the high definition textures never work well in that mode.

Thank for your answer.

No, I never used DX10. I've always too many problems with this

The problem is especially visible on boundary fences along parking and taxiway markings.

Hello Tulma,

A picture paints a 1000 words, can you attach a picture of the issue please and make sure the co-ords are showing so we can see where you are and your heading.

Yes but this problem (flashing, shimmering, Flickering... ) appear only when I move or when the engine of my aircraft is running. on a picture it's not clear :

flashl.th.jpg

flash2.th.jpg

The problem seem to be similar at this post :http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=27428&hl=flashing&st=0 but the same solution doesn't work.

It should be better with a video but I can't attach it, here, like I said above.

Tulma, I had the same thing also and I am on DX9 with high levels of antialiasing and anisotropic filtering. After digging into the files I found that pretty much most of the .dds files had no mip maps. After spending about 1.5 hours with DDS Converter 2 and mipping a lot of the building textures I was able to get nice still clear images. You may want to take a look at adding mips yourself just make sure to make backups of the original textures first. You can also mip the .bpm files as well, but I found that the underlying main photo textures needed no mips. Try this and see how you come out.

For me this isn't the only scenery I have had to do this to, so learing now will be a good experience for you going forward. I have found that a lot of payware sceneries come shipped with no mips and don't look as good on my system until I add the mip maps.

For the record I'm having the same shimmering problem on the buildings and to a lesser extent on the taxi lines. I am not using DX10. I don't have this issue with any other scenery addon in FSX. I have attached a screenshot of the worse areas though you have to be moving to see the shimmer. Can the developers find a solution to this please.

post-8525-12519454559_thumb.jpg

Jedgar, read my post above yours to fix it. I doubt the developer will mip all this stuff and send out an update. Save time and mip it yourself, it's a lot quicker to do it yourself than wait for something that may never appear.

Tulma, I had the same thing also and I am on DX9 with high levels of antialiasing and anisotropic filtering. After digging into the files I found that pretty much most of the .dds files had no mip maps. After spending about 1.5 hours with DDS Converter 2 and mipping a lot of the building textures I was able to get nice still clear images. You may want to take a look at adding mips yourself just make sure to make backups of the original textures first. You can also mip the .bpm files as well, but I found that the underlying main photo textures needed no mips. Try this and see how you come out.

For me this isn't the only scenery I have had to do this to, so learing now will be a good experience for you going forward. I have found that a lot of payware sceneries come shipped with no mips and don't look as good on my system until I add the mip maps.

Thank you VERY much :)

But how do this ? I don't know how adding mips :blush:

Ok, It's done

Here the options which I Used for convert the dds textures :

capturevmc.th.jpg

The result seem better in FSX but is it the good options (DXT3 .... ) ?

Thank again :P

Yeah looks good. What I do is check when you pick a .dds file it will show on the right side whether it's a DXT3 or DXT5 file. If it's a DXT3 file then I convert it to the same, same for DXT5, I would then convert it to DXT5 as well. I also do the corresponding light maps to the day texture. I also use a mip level of 8. I noticed you had yours set to 0 for automatic. Using 0 will usually result in it creating 10 mip maps. The more mips you create the large the file will be. I also don't mip every .dds file in there, usually only the ones that are 1024X1024, 512X512, and sometimes the 256X256. After you finish then you can use the other tool to do the .bmps. Don't worry about the main ones for the airport back ground. I think they are ok and not causing problems.

Thank you very much for your help :)

Nice idea cmpbllsjc but I think that is not sufficient to solve the problem. Aerosoft must spent one more time to correct this ^_^

After a try, I see it's a little better, but there is always many problems. Less visibles but always here. Especially the taxiways markings have always the same problem but buildings too.

I don't know why the developpers didn't made this. Find how to solve the problems is not the job for the consumers ;)

I used the Nice airport in FrancevFR Riviera addon which has no problems. maybe I'll install it again if Aerosoft don't correct this problem quickly.

All this is a little disappointing and I hope for a patch soon

Jedgar, read my post above yours to fix it. I doubt the developer will mip all this stuff and send out an update. Save time and mip it yourself, it's a lot quicker to do it yourself than wait for something that may never appear.

cmpbllsjc

I did read your post.

I don't see, after purchasing a product in good faith, why I should, a, learn to Mip scenery files and b, spend up to two hours fixing what should work in the first place.

Due to Aerosoft's history of customer service I am confident that the developer will fix this issue for us.

Yeah I agree Jedgar, it would be nice if you could just by, install and go without having to fix things yourself. However, out of all the addon sceneries I have ever bought by FSDT, Imaginsim, Blue Print Sim, Tropical Sim, FlyTampa, Aerosoft, and FRanceVFR, I think the only one that I have never had to fiddle with are the sceneries by FlyTampa. All the others seem to have issues with mipmaps, AFCADS, or other anomalies. Unfortunately, this is just the way it is due to the way developers use different techniques to make their products. Then of course, you have to factor in all the different possibilities of computer hardware, drivers, operating systems, etc.

In the end I agree with you and hope there is a patch of some sort to help out, but in the mean time I took it into my own hands like I normally have to do in case a patch never appears.