[FS9] DHC-2 Beaver VC Gauges extreamly low resolution

kaworunagisa17

Hello all!

My boyfriend just bought me the Aerosoft Beaver for FS9 for my birthday. So far, it's been a great aircraft from a model and flight dynamics standpoint. I really love it!

A big problem I have though is the low resolution of the "6-Pack" Gauges-- heading, altitude, airspeed, attitude, turn coordinator and HSI. They are just to low in resolution for me to enjoy using the aircraft. I only fly in the VC (I'm a pilot in real life; the 2-d cockpit makes me dizzy), and I've been trying to use the RealityXP Flight Line T gauge pack with the aircraft, but it really looks hideous at such a low resolution.

post-27729-125460558604_thumb.jpg

Notice in the picture how the 3 three RXP gauges (airspeed, alt, attitude) are nearly unreadable, while the engine gauges are not so grainy.

Is there any fix for this? None of the other gauges in other sections of the panel suffer from this problem. Additionally, the pictures on your website for the product show gauges at a much higher resolution.

Thanks! Have a nice day!

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

I'm sad to hear that there is no fix. Zooming out doesn't really help...gauges are still just as grainy, and it's sort of a waste of the RXP gauges if they are going to be so grainy.

Just out of curiosity, do you know what causes the gauges to be so poorly rendered? They also only change once per second now that I've tried flying with them a bit more, while other gauges in the VC are smooth as butter. Kinda disappointing, since these are the primary flight gauges and the ones that really need to be instantly updated.

Does the FSX version suffer from this? Is there any plans to bring the updated FSX version to FS9? Even if it was just a model update to improve this issue; it just seems like this is sort of an issue that shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be annoying or mean, just trying to figure this out. Thanks for you time!

Hello kaworunagisa17,

The blurred ones you see in the modern cockpit are default FS9 gauges from various other planes.

There was a post about this a long time ago but I cant seem to be able to find it as it may have

been on the old forums.

Sorry for delay in reply, it's a busy time of year for me. :-)

I understand that the gauges are the low-quality FS9 default, but if that is the cause of the blurriness, wouldn't replacing them fix the problem?

Admittedly, I'm not designer, and I've got no idea what I'm talking about, lol! :rolleyes:

Love the plane though! I hope this issue can be sorted out. I'm also trying to replace some of the radios in the panel with RXP GNS430, but the same low resolution issue makes the GNS screen pretty unreadable.

Thanks for your time! It's almost Friday!

• 4 weeks later...

I agree on the low resolution making this almost un-enjoyable.

I know that you guys "can" fix this. I have some of your other work. Question is.."will" you fix it?

Yeah, why would you want to? You have already made your money, it has been a big hit over the course of FS9/FSX.

But, you guys could and should improve it to bring up the quality.

I have a weird flicker going on with the ASI. How does that get resolved?

I am a huge Beaver fan, and would like to use this, but the gauge quality and the cockpit textures make it almost impossible to enjoy.

I hope this does not fall on deaf ears. Seems like there are a host of reasons you have given for not improving the Beaver.

I think it comes down to a lack of desire, not ability on your part.

I share lawdawg's feelings, although as a businessman I think you have every right to discontinue development on a outdated simulator. But I also think I deserve some straight answers.

"The blurred ones you see in the modern cockpit are default FS9 gauges from various other planes."

Why doesn't swapping out the gauges fix the issue? Seemed like a model issue from the beginning to me.

"No fix but what you can do is to zoom out slightly from the panel and they wont be so blurred."

That's fine advice, but not something that should be given as a primary solution on a support forum. It doesn't do anything anyway.

Let me make this clear, this issue is far more serious than you are understanding; the update rate on the primary flight gauges is so low they are useless to "operate" the aircraft, yet alone use them for navigation (something vitally important in a bush aircraft!). The resolution is so low that it gives me headaches to look at them.

I've tried to be nice and patient, cause that usually gets you what you want just fine. I just want an explanation, and while a fix would be nice, I'm not going to demand you supply one due to my views above. The FSX model is fine, however, and since you have the model source files I'd assume a service pack of some kind would be feasible.

I'm not trying to be difficult. Please, understand that. Have a nice weekend.

Can be fixed by the owner quite easily, use Reality XP gauges. Strange that you use some, yet want the developer to fix the others? Are you incapable of finishing the job? If so, guidance is available.

Default gauges cannot be fixed by an aftermarket developer as they'd need permissions from ACES. That team no longer exists. FS9 is an outmoded simulator, obsolescent if not obsolete. I don't think the development team who created the Beaver for FS9 is even together, so there is no prospect of this being altered or upgraded by Aerosoft either...

Fix it or live with it, the choice is yours. However if you want help we first need to eliminate some of the dumb mods to FS9 that so many people blindly went about doing without understanding the repercussions. Please list complete state of FS9 and mods, also supply hardware specification as you may simply have a mipmap issue that is solvable.

Can be fixed by the owner quite easily, use Reality XP gauges. Strange that you use some, yet want the developer to fix the others? Are you incapable of finishing the job? If so, guidance is available.

Default gauges cannot be fixed by an aftermarket developer as they'd need permissions from ACES. That team no longer exists. FS9 is an outmoded simulator, obsolescent if not obsolete. I don't think the development team who created the Beaver for FS9 is even together, so there is no prospect of this being altered or upgraded by Aerosoft either...

Fix it or live with it, the choice is yours. However if you want help we first need to eliminate some of the dumb mods to FS9 that so many people blindly went about doing without understanding the repercussions. Please list complete state of FS9 and mods, also supply hardware specification as you may simply have a mipmap issue that is solvable.

Thanks for the info. Although, I have been trying to use the RXP gauges. I just took the picture halfway through placing all the gauges because it was when I started to get really annoyed by the blurriness. And I even agreed that a fix from Aerosoft isn't necessary. I've just been trying to get information, not be a pain in the rear. Fix it is what I've been trying to do all along! :blush:

You say it can be fixed by replacing gauges? Excellent! Glad to hear it.

First the hardware:

Intel P4 3.06 ghz w/ HT

Nvidia 7600gs

Gigabyte P4M266A-8235 Motherboard

I assume you mean mods to the FS9.cfg? These were both reccomended by addon makers, I can't remember which ones wanted them.

Changed TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT= from 40 to 55.

terrain_MAX_vertex_level= from 19 to 20.

Thanks for the info! Hopefully this helps some.

Guest Hodge001

Hi

A long time ago an old modification for a generic Beaver panel was released, it was originally for FS2002.

So having way to much time on my hands I wondered if that mod was still viable in FS9, so I had a quick play

around and below is the result, I don’t know if you would conceder this an improvement or not, but it was

more to show that it is possible.

Jim Hodkinson

post-9108-125711666308_thumb.jpg

Hmmm, I guess as a payware aircraft my standards are just for high resolution gauges with instant update rates.

Not really an improvement, but thanks for trying nonetheless. :-)

If it can't be fixed, it can't be fixed. Unless somebody gets back to me with a solution I've got plenty of other aircraft in my hangar. Disappointing though. This could be a very enjoyable aircraft!

Well,

I guess we were told huh? Deal with it or TS.

I will not be an Aerosoft supporter/purchaser from this point on. I will deal with entities that have passion for aviation and care about the work they do,

the quality thereof and who have a much better attitude toward clients.

I am very disappointed about the state of the Beaver, however it is obvious the developer(s) could care less. You got my money this time.

There will not be a next.

You guys got too big fer yer britches.

Hello Lawdawg,

Sorry you feel this way, But I believe the gauges in question were on the modern panel which uses default gauges.

If they are default then to change or alter them may incur the wroth of you know who.

However the modern panel was an additional extra for those that didn't want to use the old panel all the time.

Well,

I guess we were told huh? Deal with it or TS.

I will not be an Aerosoft supporter/purchaser from this point on. I will deal with entities that have passion for aviation and care about the work they do,

the quality thereof and who have a much better attitude toward clients.

I am very disappointed about the state of the Beaver, however it is obvious the developer(s) could care less. You got my money this time.

There will not be a next.

You guys got too big fer yer britches.

I think you totally, utterly and completely miss the point. And just so you know, I am an Aerosoft customer like you, so please do let us know how you get on with your campaign against Microsoft, the company that supplied the gauges you so ignorantly fail to appreciate.

I'm sure we all look forward to the day when ACES reforms just so they can correct your misanthropic musings about a dead product. :wacko:

Where were you five years ago when this would have been topical? Not born?

misanthropic musings about a dead product. :wacko:

Ahhh, Mr. Snave, in the spirit of Spiro and Safire who graced the world with such gems as "pusillanimous pussyfooters", "nattering nabobs of negativism" (Safire), and "hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history", try not to be offended by cruel wit, since the information is actually relevant, though maybe a bitter pill.

Bump

I think you totally, utterly and completely miss the point. And just so you know, I am an Aerosoft customer like you, so please do let us know how you get on with your campaign against Microsoft, the company that supplied the gauges you so ignorantly fail to appreciate.

I'm sure we all look forward to the day when ACES reforms just so they can correct your misanthropic musings about a dead product. :wacko:

Where were you five years ago when this would have been topical? Not born?

This thread has deteriorated beyond the point of being relevant anymore. At least my questions have been partially answered. I still don't understand why replacing the default gauges still creates problems, but I will look at working on the old-style panel see if that helps. At this point I'm beyond the point of caring.

Aerosoft makes good products, even if this one has been a disappointment (things like their scenery in general and AES alone makes up for this). I'm not really satisfied, but I'm not going to be as immature as that Lawdawg dude.

On the other hand, it's people like Snave who make the forum-support system a horrible idea. I didn't come on here looking for somebody to talk down to me and insult my intelligence. I came looking for support. Snave is a great example of the type of people who plauge online forums; self absorbed know-it-alls that have a need to tell everyone else what to do. Go ahead flame me. STOP treating everyone on forums like you do, sir. At least, treat users who are here simply for a support question (like Lawdawg and I) differntly than you may in, say, the general discussion forums where logtime users who may not be offened by your langauge spend time in.

In the future I will simply send an email to Aerosoft with support requests, I think I've been perfectly resonable through all of this.

Have a nice evening.

My enjoyment of the these forums is at least as important as yours - possible more so since I am answering questions you and many others are merely asking. Why is it that I must forestall MY enjoyment of these forums by pandering to your whimsical notions of HOW a forum should operate when you were asked and given a perfectly acceptable reply just it's one YOU petulantly don't want to hear? Thus impinging on MY enjoyment of the forum as you seem intent on disregarding adequate, accurate, timely information.

This product has been in the market for YEARS. You come late to the party, then start whining when the `straight answer` you demanded is not the hand-holding, nappy-changing solution you wanted.

The solution was given to you: Change your own gauges. It doesn't get much `straighter` than that...

And as you then demanded further, the reason was also supplied: The original gauges are Microsofts own, and any complaints about them should be registered with them, any solution provided by them and are not the fault, responsibility or culpability of Aerosoft - or any of its forum members.

I guess what you'd like to hear is that we're sorry we don't have a solution. But I refuse to be that hypocritical. I am not sorry. I was factual, brief and to the point, dealing with issues that were first covered YEARS ago. After that, the problem is entirely your own. And at no time did you provide system information that might enable an effective troubleshoot of the problem from the hardware perspective. So your approach was time-wasting, petulant and childish.

And YOU want to tell ME how to behave..? :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

Given that I encountered a similar problem which, although wasn't resolved, at least got me some answers. With that in mind I'd like to comment on the comments:

This product has been in the market for YEARS. You come late to the party, then start whining when the `straight answer` you demanded is not the hand-holding, nappy-changing solution you wanted.

The solution was given to you: Change your own gauges. It doesn't get much `straighter` than that...

And as you then demanded further, the reason was also supplied: The original gauges are Microsofts own, and any complaints about them should be registered with them, any solution provided by them and are not the fault, responsibility or culpability of Aerosoft - or any of its forum members.

Except that the problem is not with the gauges; replacing the gauges with high quality ones (reality xp) doesn't change anything. It seems that VC was textured at 512 pixels instead of the regular 1024 or 2048; a guarantee for fuzziness on modern (and with that I mean anything sold since 2000) monitors.

I guess what you'd like to hear is that we're sorry we don't have a solution. But I refuse to be that hypocritical. I am not sorry. I was factual, brief and to the point, dealing with issues that were first covered YEARS ago. After that, the problem is entirely your own.

Stating that the FS9 Beaver is obsolete is a very nice approach to claim "we don't support", but somehow Aerosoft doesn't mention that anywhere in the product detail page. A warning along the lines of "this product is no longer supported" could have been the least - now people only find out after sinking good money into a product that it is no longer supported. If you consider a product obsolete and you no longer support it, stop selling it. I guess I can start giving copies away to my friends? It's obsolete anyway.

A much more mature approach would be to list what the real problem is (not the MS gauges, but sloppy VC design), and why it cannot be solved (you lost the source files). Putting the blame on a customer and saying "we sold you old crap, it's your problem now" is bad form and very customer unfriendly. Personally I was thinking about getting the the new beaver but after seeing what kind of rude support Aerosoft has in mind for FS9 users I'd rather spend my money on something else.

Guest Hodge001

Speaking as one of the responders to this and your other post regarding the Beaver gauge issues then I have to say that although I really cant see it, I also hope it wasn’t anything that I have said regarding the gauges fitted to the Beaver that you found rude,offensive or otherwise upsetting in these postings, or indeed in any of my other comments on this subject for that matter, if it is then I apologise for what ever it was.

Jim Hodkinson

Speaking as one of the responders to this and your other post regarding the Beaver gauge issues then I have to say that although I really cant see it, I also hope it wasn't anything that I have said regarding the gauges fitted to the Beaver that you found rude,offensive or otherwise upsetting in these postings, or indeed in any of my other comments on this subject for that matter, if it is then I apologise for what ever it was.

Jim Hodkinson

Don't worry, I can't speak for anyone else, but you or Mr. Fletcher were not offensive in any way. No worries! :-)

As we have moved away from genuine troubleshooting and instead are replacing it with misrepresentation and deliberate stupidity I guess someone else will have to solve the problem - and no, the `problem` is NOT with the package, as I alluded to in my direct, concise reply.

Fortunately, as a non-Aerosoft person I really don't have to care, or even pretend to. Barts post, for example, contains several mistakes, and he's not even trying to help, just occupying a waste of space.

I leave you in their hands.