DHC6 -300 Mission Pack DME panel missing

Raedwulf

Interesting problem since reinstalling the DHC6 and Mission Pack; don't recall it from before

The DME Panel is missing in the Model 300 (Canadian Forces livery), in the virtual cockpit there's a black space with a knob sticking out (knob is inactive). If I select the DME from the Views menu a black space is represented.

If I select another 300 model, (British Airways) the DME panel is represented as it should be in both Virtual Cockpit and the DME View.

Seems to be a problem within the Mission Pack. I have V1.03 installed

Seems like the issue isn't restricted to just the 300, looks like every twotter except a few of the 300 models have the DME panel missing.

Attached is a screen cap of what I see

The big black rectangle is what is displayed when I select DME from the View>Instrument pulldown

Is this supposed to be this way? I can't remember

post-18742-126072366617_thumb.jpg

Guest Hodge001

Hi

Have you downloaded and installed the Aerosoft Sound Control update that’s available for the Twin Otter, as this update installs all the required gauges (less the Maule autopilot gauge) into each individual aircrafts panel folder and updates the panel.cfg file to show the changes, if not then I would install it not only to fix your problem but it also increases the atmosphere in the Twin.

Jim Hodkinson

I have done, twice. It is a minor thing but I hate having to use my GPS to tell me when I've reached VOR/DME. It is a good point though, maybe another uninstall/reinstall of Twin Otter and mission pack, see if the panel is retrieved, and when it goes off the rails

Guest Hodge001

Hi again

It does sound like it could be a problem with the ASC update installation, I have just had a look at the contents of the update and all the gauges and panel.cfg files are all present and correct for all the Twin Otter including the mission pack versions.

The only versions without a DME gauge are

The 300 GPS and Modern variants

But if you really wanted a DME in those is easy enough to accomplish with a little bit of copying and pasting of gauges and a quick edit of the panel.cfg file, if you need any assistance with the edit to add the DME to the two Twin Otters just let me know and I will post the entries you will need.

I hope everything gets sorted out with you reinstall of the ASC update.

Jim Hodkinson

Certainly looks like the ASC update is the culprit

Uninstalled Both Twin OtterX and the Mission Pack and reinstalled, checking results after each step.

Installed Twin Otter V1.11, the model 100 had the correct panel. Added Mission Pack V1.02 and rechecked Model 100 (Floats) and Model 300 (wheels/skis) both had the panel. Updated Mission pack to v1.03 and rechecked - all ok. This was the last state I had the Twin Otter prior to my upgrade to Win 7 a few weeks ago.

I finally loaded the ASC update and lo and behold the DME Panel disappeared

I went in and had a look at the various Panel.CFG for the different models, both the original and mission added planes. The Model 300 (wheels) and the Model 300 (Modern) had a listing for the DME different for the Model 100 and model 300(wheels/skis)

The [VCockpit] and [Window01] both refer to the DME, each of these shows up as gaugexx=..\panel\DME!DME, where xx refers to a number for the gauge, comparing to the model 300 wheels, the listings show up slightly different, noatably the lack of ..\panel\

I tried to follow up on a hunch, but with no luck, DME Panel was still missing

Guest Hodge001

Hi

I have just checked all the variations of Twin Otter at my end and all have the DME included both as a stand alone pop up window and present on the VC panel, the lack of a gaugexx=..\panel statement in your panel.cfg file should not make any difference as FSX will look in both the FSX gauges folder (which I think it does first of all) and if the gauge is not present then in the aircrafts own panel folder (or it could be the other way round) either way it makes no difference, the only gauge that has to be called up from a different location is the Maule autopilot gauge which is from an entirely different aircraft.

I was just wondering if your upgrade to Win 7 was after the aircraft and mission pack updates but before your installation of the ASC update if so then it could be yet another of nanny windows permissions issues that have brought about the issue.

Can you confirm if the above was the case.

Jim Hodkinson

Unfortunately, I don't know how the ASC worked prior to Win 7, as I only recently discovered the update. The last revision, prior to update was 1.11 Twin Otter, and 1.03 Mission (which is still latest and greatest).

As for my upgrade to Win 7; I performed a completely clean install... not the update. Then a reinstall of FSX followed by reinstallation of the Twin Otter. I've uninstalled the Twin Otter and mission files, removing the folders that are created, and again reinstalled the Twin Otter + Mission. No ASC has been added. I'm back to the configuration as it would have existed prior to my install of 7 from Vista. All is working as it should except without the enhancement provided by ASC.

A quick check of the panel.cfg indicates all variations of the aircraft except the modern panel refer to folder panel org, the modern panel refers to panel.gps folder. The ASC update creates a new panel cfg for each variation, so that seems to imply that permissions in Win 7 probably doesn't have anything to do with it or else they should stay the same. No error messages occured during the upgrade to ASC, except the warnings about over writing existing folders and files, these were to be expected as noted in the readme file

Thanks for the help

Ralph Barczewska

Guest Hodge001

Hi

Apologies for the delay in responding, while going through the various Twin Otters on my system (Vista 64Bit) I had no problems with any of the panels showing the DME, I admit that I have on my more often used versions of the Twin made panel modification to them to include other gauges but on the Modern and GPS versions I received the FSX trusted gauges message which denotes that I had never flown them since installing the ASC update, and they to had the DME present so I don’t think that it’s an error in the installer as such, something else must be at play to get the results you are seeing I just don’t know what.

Although the easiest way around the issue would be to amend the panel.cfg files to include the DME in the missing panels.

I hope it’s of some use.

Jim Hodkinson

Jim,

I did not have this problem previously, but I upgraded to Windows 7 about three weeks ago, and as a result of this thread, checked my DHC6 100 and 300 Otters and all are now missing the DME. It is present on the Modern cockpit.

I have removed and reinstalled and the DME is missing before reinstalling the ASC module, and still missing after the installation.

This is odd.

Bump

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Shaun pointed me to this thread as I was having the same issues with the DME after installing the ASC package for the Twotter. I've fixed it on my end, and it doesn't appear that anyone in this thread have either fixed it or posted a fix, so I figured I'd link back to my other post which outlines what I did to fix it on my end. As always, before making any edits to your panel.cfg file(s), be sure to back up the original in case you encounter any problems.

Here's the link to the thread that outlines what I had to do to fix this on my end. I hope the information is helpful to those of you that have encountered or are currently encountering this problem.

Link: http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=31478&view=findpost&p=200328

Good luck, and I hope the information helps. :)

-George