Fix for flickering FSX DX10

etien

Someone just found a fix to stop the flicker of runway lines under FSX / DX10, this is a small revolution on the FSX world.

http://forums1.avsim...howtopic=268372

I would expect a rush of light patches from aerosoft and subcontractors? (seem to remember a lot of flickers in Sion and elsewhere..)

The proposed rain fix is also great!

DX10 just made a quantum leap :jumprope2_s:

Someone just found a fix to stop the flicker of runway lines under FSX / DX10, this is a small revolution on the FSX world.

http://forums1.avsim...howtopic=268372

I would expect a rush of light patches from aerosoft and subcontractors? (seem to remember a lot of flickers in Sion and elsewhere..)

The proposed rain fix is also great!

DX10 just made a quantum leap jumprope2_s.gif

Very interesting!!! biggrin.gif

If this pans out, it will be a nice example of why one should never count out the human ability to go around a supposedly "unsolvable" problem!

Hi all,

James_2k is the person who discovered this, and a Huge thanks to him for figuring this out. I've done quite a few airports since, and so far my testing has been extremely positive. I've been able to fix every airport that I've tried to fix so far (at least on my own end), so this workaround seems like the 'real deal' to me at this point.

So far, I've gone through all of Florida, and fixed all the stock airports from flickering in DX10. In my testing, the only ones that have continued to flicker were ones that I recompiled from the wrong files, and once I recompiled using the 'fixed' file, the flickering stopped. The fix is really so easy to apply, that I can't see developers not wanting to fix any of their airports that flicker if it's something they think their users will make use of. It couldn't have taken me more than two days total to go through the entire state of Florida, identify stock airports that needed fixing, and to apply the fixes (I found 113 that needed fixing). A .zip with the 'fixed' airports is available at avsim for anyone interested in checking them out. Just remember that they are fixed stock airports, and do not fix any third-party airports you may have installed. Also, I'm pretty sure I included an unmodified version of KGIF in that .zip, instead of the fixed one, so that airport may still flicker after the download.

The long and the short of it is to just stick 1 asphalt and 1 concrete taxiway link, and 1 asphalt and 1 concrete apron polygon somewhere in the airport, preferably under a building somewhere that displays at lower levels of scenery complexity. This prevents the 'fix' from changing anything visible about the airport by keeping the additional items hidden away. All added items can be made extremely small, so they can be very, very easy to hide, and none of them have to be connected to any existing airport surfaces, so they don't interfere with existing taxiways, runways, or aprons. Most airports only need 1 or 2 of the items added, but adding all four allows for much faster fixing, since you can do them in bulk, without having to keep loading and rechecking the airport being worked on, and then verify in bulk by just jumping from airport to airport that have been fixed, just to make sure that it doesn't flicker anymore.

If anyone from Aerosoft has any questions that I might be able to assist with, feel free to contact me at my email address on record here, and I'll do my best to provide any additional information that they may need, though I honestly doubt that would be needed, as the above procedure is literally all it takes to get the flickering to stop on each airport.

Good luck, and again, thanks to James_2k for making flying daily in DX10 possible! :)

-George

• Aerosoft

Hi all,

James_2k is the person who discovered this, and a Huge thanks to him for figuring this out. I've done quite a few airports since, and so far my testing has been extremely positive. I've been able to fix every airport that I've tried to fix so far (at least on my own end), so this workaround seems like the 'real deal' to me at this point.

So far, I've gone through all of Florida, and fixed all the stock airports from flickering in DX10. In my testing, the only ones that have continued to flicker were ones that I recompiled from the wrong files, and once I recompiled using the 'fixed' file, the flickering stopped. The fix is really so easy to apply, that I can't see developers not wanting to fix any of their airports that flicker if it's something they think their users will make use of. It couldn't have taken me more than two days total to go through the entire state of Florida, identify stock airports that needed fixing, and to apply the fixes (I found 113 that needed fixing). A .zip with the 'fixed' airports is available at avsim for anyone interested in checking them out. Just remember that they are fixed stock airports, and do not fix any third-party airports you may have installed. Also, I'm pretty sure I included an unmodified version of KGIF in that .zip, instead of the fixed one, so that airport may still flicker after the download.

The long and the short of it is to just stick 1 asphalt and 1 concrete taxiway link, and 1 asphalt and 1 concrete apron polygon somewhere in the airport, preferably under a building somewhere that displays at lower levels of scenery complexity. This prevents the 'fix' from changing anything visible about the airport by keeping the additional items hidden away. All added items can be made extremely small, so they can be very, very easy to hide, and none of them have to be connected to any existing airport surfaces, so they don't interfere with existing taxiways, runways, or aprons. Most airports only need 1 or 2 of the items added, but adding all four allows for much faster fixing, since you can do them in bulk, without having to keep loading and rechecking the airport being worked on, and then verify in bulk by just jumping from airport to airport that have been fixed, just to make sure that it doesn't flicker anymore.

If anyone from Aerosoft has any questions that I might be able to assist with, feel free to contact me at my email address on record here, and I'll do my best to provide any additional information that they may need, though I honestly doubt that would be needed, as the above procedure is literally all it takes to get the flickering to stop on each airport.

Good luck, and again, thanks to James_2k for making flying daily in DX10 possible! :)

-George

I know the issue, but I personally never have that issue and I use DX10 as much as possible.

Which of our airport that are DX10 compatible (so airport without high definition textures) got this problem?

Hi Mathijs,

Honestly I can't comment on any of Aerosoft's airports as I'm not one that typically goes in for scenery products since my fs budget typically gets spent on new aircraft or hardware 'toys' lol. smile.gif That said, considering the high quality that Aerosoft is known for (and demonstrated to me with the Twotter), I'd guess that any DX10-certified products you folks have released probably don't need fixing. The fixes I've discussed above, have only been applied to default, stock FSX airports, and only ones that exhibited the flickering behavior.

I did notice that you have an ATI card in your 'why I get 50 frames' .pdf, and I know that at least a few users of ATI cards do not experience the flickering aprons and taxiways issue. I honestly don't know if that's down to their driver version, or if it's a specific graphics card/chip that the issue doesn't occur on. I do know that the problem seems more pronounced on nVidia-based adapters, but I also know that there have been a few ATI users that have encountered the flickering as well. I run an nVidia-based 9800GT, and many stock airports display this behavior, and so far, every one that I've tried to fix has been successful (at least on my own end.) You may want to try using a machine with an nVidia-based adapter just for testing purposes, just for the sake of getting to see the flickering issue with your own eyes (at least as far as 'stock' airports go). The stock KGIF (Winter Haven - Gilbert, Florida USA) was one of the first airports I worked on to prevent the flickering, so if you can get on an nVidia-based machine that doesn't have add-on scenery for the area, you should be able to see the flickering in full force.

Again, as far as Aerosoft's airports go, I can't comment on them since I don't have any of them, but if any users are reporting flickering issues under DX10 with any of your airport addons, the 'fix' as described in my previous post, as well as in the original threads linked to by the OP, *should* fix any user's issues with flickering and DX10. In any case, should you find any that need 'fixing', and have any additional questions about how the fix is applied (which I really doubt since the fix really is so straightforward), feel free to contact me and I'll be glad to try and help provide any additional information I can, as I've got quite a few hours of fixing this problem on default airports.

At the end of the day, I'm just happy to see this information circulating around, since the more folks that know about it, the more likely it is that the issue gets 'worked around' on new airport sceneries, allowing the airport to display properly in DX10 for everyone that chooses to use it, regardless of the DX10 video adapter that they're using. smile.gif

Please let me clarify that my previous post was not a complaint or a request to fix any of Aerosoft's products, but rather an offer to help with any additional information if needed, should anyone on the Aerosoft team actually need to fix any of your airports. For all I know, all of your airports are 100% DX10 compatible and don't need anything done to them. My interest lies in wanting this information to become common knowledge so that anyone can run DX10 whenever they want without experiencing flickering, regardless of the DX10-based video card they're running. As I've got a number of 'fixed' airports under my belt, I thought I may be able to help shed some light on the issue for anyone else trying to fix *any* FSX airport.

I hope that clarifies things, and again, if there's any additional information you think I may be able to provide, don't hesitate to ask. smile.gif

-George

Thanks George for the info!

Not a problem at all, Mathijs. I'm just happy to see this information circulating around, as things like

this could make running FSX in DX10 on a full-time basis more of a reality instead of just a 'preview'.

(At least to hold us over until AS FlightSim2012 ships.) ;)

-George

• 1 month later...

Not a problem at all, Mathijs. I'm just happy to see this information circulating around, as things like

this could make running FSX in DX10 on a full-time basis more of a reality instead of just a 'preview'.

(At least to hold us over until AS FlightSim2012 ships.) ;)

-George

So I am curious as to whatever happened with this. Things seemed to be proceeding fairly rapidly....... and then nothing. Did the whole subject die?

• Aerosoft

So I am curious as to whatever happened with this. Things seemed to be proceeding fairly rapidly....... and then nothing. Did the whole subject die?

As far as we know the whole issue and the possible fix had no link to any of our products. So for us there was no miracle fix.