Is it possible to have multiple FSX installations?

Hiflyer

Is it possible to have multiple FSX installations, on different, or even the same drive? For instance, an installation specifically for certain addons, and a "clean" version for other times?

Is it possible to have multiple FSX installations, on different, or even the same drive? For instance, an installation specifically for certain addons, and a "clean" version for other times?

Using the same operating system, No! On a dual Operating system, Yes. It's due to the install writting to the Registry, therefore, on one operating system it will refuse to install another copy stating it's already there.

• Aerosoft

Not really easy, but here is how I do it.

- install FSX and addons (I suggest strongly not to use the default folder but to make something like c:\fs\fsx\)

- copy the whole FSX folder (c:\fs\fsx_1)

- de-install FSX (not the addons)

- remove the c:\fs\fsx folder

- install FSX again to c:\fs\fsx.

You now have two installed copies of FSX, the only thing you need to do before starting FS is to make sure the correct folder is called c:\fs\fsx, so you might need to rename the folders. It all sounds a bit complex, but it's actually rather simple and fast. I got 3 different copies of FSX installed that way and a simple batch file to rename the correct folder and start FSX. So I got three icons, FSX1, FSX2, FSX3.

Not really easy, but here is how I do it.

- install FSX and addons (I suggest strongly not to use the default folder but to make something like c:\fs\fsx\)

- copy the whole FSX folder (c:\fs\fsx_1)

- de-install FSX (not the addons)

- remove the c:\fs\fsx folder

- install FSX again to c:\fs\fsx.

You now have two installed copies of FSX, the only thing you need to do before starting FS is to make sure the correct folder is called c:\fs\fsx, so you might need to rename the folders. It all sounds a bit complex, but it's actually rather simple and fast. I got 3 different copies of FSX installed that way and a simple batch file to rename the correct folder and start FSX. So I got three icons, FSX1, FSX2, FSX3.

Thank-you! I had a few ideas (like using an fsx registry tool to go from installation to installation) but I did not want to come up with my own Rube-Goldberg idea when something better might be out there.

I hold a `clean` patched copy of Acceleration and use the same trick to rename the folders, as there is no way to rename the Registry entry in a `safe` way that will guarantee you can switch between examples and still keep addons functional.

But as I only switch to Vanilla Version occasionally I keep the `FSXClean` folder on my backup drive and physically port it over onto the dedicated FSX hard drive when needed, otherwise the defragmentation of the main FSX folder can be a tricky thing to control.

But mostly, optimised versions of one installation are actually easier to achieve thanks to things like scenery cfg swapping, selectable FSX .cfg settings and batch file exclusions. As I suggested in the new sim topic, what would be very useful for a NextGen Sim is to have this as a selectable GUI front end menu system, allowing users to select at startup which elements to run for that particular session.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks,

I have a similar question. Not 100% how to do it.

Fsx is installed on the usual c: drive, with some mego addons (like germany vfr south, or britany vfr fsx) on a d: drive

Planning to buy an intel ssd drive x-25 160 gb (lets call it the e:) drive

How can I "move" my fsx to this new drive? I would hate to have to restart from scratch.

Etienne

Hi Etienne

The short answer is that you cannot move your FSX installation from one drive to another as you cannot update all the registry entries to reflect this change. A re-install is your only option.