Windows 7 and AES

craigy

Hi

I have recently installed flightsim (FS9) on a new install of windows 7 (professional). When starting AES help (flightsim not running) I get the following message

'vistamre folder does not exist. The file might have been moved or deleted. Do you want to create it?' Clicking yes starts AES help.

When starting flight sim the message 'cant copy esellerateengine.dll'. Click ok Flight sim starts.

When starting flightsim first.

'cant copy esellerateengine.dll' comes up.

Once started, add a scenery to the library. Restart flight sim, and then start AES help and the following message comes up

'AES has detected a SCENERY.CFG in the virtual store. This can generate problems with scereries. Should AES copy this file to the FS main-path.' Click yes and

'Name you specified is not valid or too long' Specify a different file name. ok nothing happens. Cancel by clicking x

AES starts and added scenery not visible in the airports list. Restart flight sim and it is missing from the scenery library.

I am the only user of the computer and administrator. Any ideas as to what is going on?

Rgds

Craig

• Developer

Your primary problem is, that you get problems with the Windows UAC (User Access Controll), not only with AES, also with other addons, because the esellerateengine.dll has nothing to do with AES.

The best and fastest Way to get around all this issues is to install the FS not below the default directory under c:\Program Files..., instead place the FS9 (FSX) directory for example at C:\FS9 or better on a different drive like D:\FS9

In this case the UAC is not active and will not bring you in trouble.

The UAC is active even when you are Admin on the PC.

To just switch off the UAC is only helpful, when you do it direct after the install of Windows Vista/Win7, later you also get trouble, because some files are allready in the virtual store and as long as you don't bring them back to correct position, some Programs will not work korrect after switching of the UAC.

Keep in mind: The FS9 is not Vista/Win7 compatible developed, even the FSX has problems here, but they are less critical.

Thanks Oliver. Very helpful information

I have been playing with the system and found that if I start flightsim and AES Help by right clicking on the programme icon and select run as administrator, AES starts fine and additions to the scenery library are stored. Then when starting flightsim normally, all is fine and AES works fine.

Rgds

Craig

• Developer

Forget that, because when you move it only, all config or regentries which have pathinfos in it will be broken. Reinstall is the better solution, even when it takes time, but you will save it later, when you don't get in trouble with the UAC again.