This is an airplane model* with two real running engines (well, let's say only a half of it biggrin.gif ) made to test "in-cabin" noise and its sound insulation.

DeHavilland used to build that kind of models to test new systems.

* => No windows, so not a real plane

Since that's actually the front of a Beaufighter, I'll hazard a guess that it's a test rig to see how the engines perform when attached to the airframe.

Either that, or it's a failed attempt at a flying shed.

• Upvote 1

Don´t really have a clue, but I guess it could be some kind of an auxilliary radio station, as the equipment necessary is in the plane and the power comes from the engines...

Maybe an engine testbed...

Is it to make use of the more sophisticated radar and direction finders used in the beaufighter for the night-fighter role, if in-place radar was damaged or inoperative? i.e. a backup early warning system or something?

Seen in that picture is, as already said a Bristol 156 Beaufighter Mk. IF. This particular one served in the RAF from 1942 till 1943. In 1946 the Bristol Aeroplane Company in Filton used this model as an testbed for their new Bristol Hercules 130 engine and it recived a 4-bladed prop. Later then it was used by the Technical Training school of the RAF in Halton.

In 1953 the plane had lost its wings and the tail section and that little hut was built to its end. It was used by apprentices to practice engine startup and running procedures. They did this until the late sixties before it was dismantled and stored in 1971.

EDIT:

Two more pictures:

Bristol1.jpg

Bristol2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hello Folks,

Ah well there you go.

Delta777 seems to be a winner I'll e-mail you in the morning, pity you didn't have the picture of what was inside the hut to go with your answer that would have been great.

But I have it here.

quiz1a.jpg

So folks another question next week same place same time.