Speed tape signs: no explanation?

tup61

I looked all over the manuals for an explanation of the various signs on the PDF's speed tape, but I can't find it! (EDIT: Found some answers in the tutorial.) Some of the things I know (like the red lines you see when you are nearing a too low speed and the yellow arrows) but what about the:

- magenta triangle (EDIT This must be the managed target speed)

- yellow = sign

- a blue -1

- a green S

I specially need to know what is what in order to apply the flaps at the right moment. Right now I don't know when it is time to lower or raise the flaps.

Apart from that I also think a newbie might need some explanation about the basic stuff.

EDIT

A green ball means Flaps 1 (at least during approach)

EDIT 2

Another small question (don't want to start another topic for it): in the tutorial you have to enter 3 in the MCDU for the landing config. You can also choose FULL. What does this mean exactly and what options do I have...?

Hi Jeroen!

This page explains a lot about the speed tape symbols http://www.scribd.co...Descent-Arrival

Thanks! Interesting! That explains a lot.

However some things seem to be different. In the tutorial I have to lower Flap 1 (during appr) at the green dot while on that site the green dot has nothing to do with Flap 1. The = is for the next Flap, so it seems, although it is yellow on the Airbus X. And I haven't seen that single - But still, I am beginning to understand it more and more. ^_^

I believe the blue 1 is the V1 speed you entered?

The landing config values are for the flap setting... Airbus has 5 settings 1 1+F 2 3 FULL... the manual explains this I believe...

Andrew

I believe the blue 1 is the V1 speed you entered?

The landing config values are for the flap setting... Airbus has 5 settings 1 1+F 2 3 FULL... the manual explains this I believe...

Andrew

I'll check the manual once more. ^_^ So in fact by entering the config you only tell the plane which flaps you are going to use...? What's the use of that...? So it can calculate the various speeds? In the tutorial you have to enter config 3 but you still end up with full flaps...

Come to think of it: yesterday I had a great autoland. I entered 3 as config but landed with full flaps. Maybe that's why the plane landed smoothly...? Because there was extra lift that wasn't calculated?

Landing config 3 or FULL is the flaps setting, as it determines the respective Vapp or approach speed. Remember that the RW FMGS requires you to enter a number of additional parameters concerning weather. The AirbusX requests the winds at destination on the LAND phase page on the MCDU. That, along with temperature and QNH coupled with the wished flap setting determines the approach speed Vapp.

If you carried out a Cat III autoland with flaps FULL and an FMGS setting of CONF3, then your Vapp will have been faster than should be the case for FULL... As long as you retard the thrust levers at 20' RA, I guess the landing should still be smooth.

Andrew