Looking for help from a newbie and a pro to test my procedure- and checklist!

tup61

EDIT

I made a new topic for my final pdf's:

My personal procedure- and checklist

This one may be closed, as far as I'm concerned.happy.gif

I've made my personal procedure- and checklist for the Airbus X and before I will make a good looking pdf of it (for everyone to download and for myself to print), I would like one or two (or more) people to check it. Newbies may check it to see if they understand it all and pro's may check it for glaring mistakes and omissions. (Of course everyone may download this very simple rtf, but beware that an updated and better version may be uploaded later on!) I made this thing for my personal use, but 1. I want to see if it makes any sense (hence the request for help from a pro) and 2. it would be a shame after all the work I put in it to NOT share it with others (hence the request for help from a newbie, whom, I hope, will benefit from it).

The reason why I made this personal procedure- and checklist is because the official one from the Stepbystep.pdf...

...has WAY too many options you don't need to do or look at or check or set, so it is VERY easy to miss an important step

...misses quite some things (specific options but also little things like turning knobs off that has been turned on earlier on)

...sometimes does things in the wrong order (imho) or not in a convenient order (so you have to switch views for every next step) or tells you to do too much for the time you have for it at that moment

...often doesn't name buttons etc. and settings etc. the same as in the cockpit itself

...brings you into aircraft states (taxi, take off, cruise) that are different from the ones you can load

...leaves you after shutdown with a different cold and dark cockpit as the one you loaded at the start

Etc. etc.

So I made a procedure- and checklist:

...in which you have to do EVERY step (they aren't all mandatory but doing them all will let you do everything you should do to get a rather realistic experience) and so it's hard to miss a step

...is complete as far as possible

...in which, as much as possible, steps are grouped so you don't have to (for instance) switch between the pedestal and overhead for a few steps in a row

...names EVERYTHING exactly as you see it in the cockpit (so the Landing lights aren't turned off but LAND is set to RETRACT and the Emergency isn't turned on but the EMER EXIT LT is set to ARM)

...in which the order makes sense and you have to do things when you actually have the time for it (so you won't screw up something because you are to busy switching knobs that you could have switched later on)

...which brings you into states that are the same as you can load (apart from one or two minor settings which were not mentioned in the tutorial)

...which leaves you with a cold and dark cockpit which is exactly the same as the one you loaded at the start

Mind you, this isn't an official and realistic procedure- and checklist!!! It's divided in a way you will never see on an official real life procedure- and checklist. But that's no problem because it is made for the Airbus X and not the real one. I am no expert on the Airbus. I simply looked at the tutorial procedure- and checklist and changed it into something that works for me. I also loaded the various state to check what things should look like at a certain moment. And this rtf is the result of all that.

For a newbie it may be a bit hard to grasp because I didn't add the numbers of the parts as the tutorial does (which is great btw, but I didn't always like the divisions they made and a few things were missing), but please, give it a try. And I would like a pro to look at it to see if I did something which really, really is awfully wrong and not done in real life and/or if I (still) missed to turn something on or off (I did follow my own checklist point by point a few times, but you just never know...). The rtf contains a short explanation at the beginning (which won't be in the pdf I am planning to make: it will be added seperately).

BTW This all isn't done and posted to throw dirt at the people who made the great tutorial (I wouldn't have learned to fly this plane without it and it was one of the best tutorials ever!) but simply because I Iike things organized and short but still complete. And of course I also did it out of love for the Airbus X. ^_^

P.S. Important note: I have divided the approach into a few maybe not too realistic steps because version 1.11 won't let me autoland when I enable APPR directly after getting clearance for the approach. I have to first enable LOC and enable APPR and AP2 only at the very moment I intercept the G/S. This is not how it should or could be and hopefully those steps will be changed after the next patch is released...;)

• Upvote 1

Here is a preview of the pdf (the same information as the rtf, so not yet corrected or changed or anything).

EDIT

Version with larger font, divided over three pages, in my next post.

Here is a preview of the pdf (the same information as the rtf, so not yet corrected or changed or anything).

Looks good but might I suggest that each section have its own page to make it more readable when printed on A4 for us short sighted oldies?

Looks good but might I suggest that each section have its own page to make it more readable when printed on A4 for us short sighted oldies?

Funny, I was thinking the same after printing it... (I'm getting older too). wink.gif How about this new version? I divided the list over three pages now.

I just printed it and compared to the Stepbyspte.pdf this list looks HUGE! tongue.gif I can read it now without my reading glasses! Wow! laugh.gif

BTW I am still thinking about adding pictures of each section and numbering them (similar to the official manual but then using different system of numbering). Just for fun. happy.gif And for people who don't know where everything is because they didn't do the official tutorial... But I can't make screenshots right now, so that won't happen before tomorrow.

And o yes, please comment on the content!

• Deputy Sheriffs

Very good Jeroen!

As a wrote in my other (Stupid user...) post, after sorting out the cold-and-dark problem, I'm still unsure about the correct panel state (overhead) after completing the cockpit preparation. There are still some switches in "OFF" position, like HYD, FLTCTL... which are not mentioned in the original tutorial. So screenshots of the correct panel state would be very helpful.

Funny, I was thinking the same after printing it... (I'm getting older too). wink.gif How about this new version? I divided the list over three pages now.

I just printed it and compared to the Stepbyspte.pdf this list looks HUGE! tongue.gif I can read it now without my reading glasses! Wow! laugh.gif

BTW I am still thinking about adding pictures of each section and numbering them (similar to the official manual but then using different system of numbering). Just for fun. happy.gif And for people who don't know where everything is because they didn't do the official tutorial... But I can't make screenshots right now, so that won't happen before tomorrow.

And o yes, please comment on the content!

That looks much better Jeroen. As for the idea of adding numbered pictures, thats good too. Maybe also think of adding numbered indicators to each of the controls and switches for the newbies to be able to find the correct switch. Just one thing though, if you do decide to do that, you should try and keep the colours compatible with B/W printers. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

Very good Jeroen!

As a wrote in my other (Stupid user...) post, after sorting out the cold-and-dark problem, I'm still unsure about the correct panel state (overhead) after completing the cockpit preparation. There are still some switches in "OFF" position, like HYD, FLTCTL... which are not mentioned in the original tutorial. So screenshots of the correct panel state would be very helpful.

Well, I wasn't planning to add screenshots of every state but just screenshots (of the Glareshield, Main panel, Pedestal and Overhead) with unique numbers at each and every knob and switch and lever that's mentioned in my checklist (so not just numbers at each section). But about your panel state: I'll go on about that in the other topic!

Maybe also think of adding numbered indicators to each of the controls and switches for the newbies to be able to find the correct switch. Just one thing though, if you do decide to do that, you should try and keep the colours compatible with B/W printers.

LOL I was typing while you were posting and as you can see I was already planning to do just that! biggrin.gif I will think about b&w printers too (I think I will make the numbers yellow, like with the clickspot squares I edited some time ago).

It looks fantastic. It's very complete and well done. You did put a lot of time into it and it shows. If I might advise, the only thing i would add is FD & EFIS off "WHEN LEAVING RUNWAY AND DURING TAXI" which is implemented within certain Airline AOM. Other than that (and even without it) is perfect. Thanks so much for doing this.

Cheers

Will

It looks fantastic. It's very complete and well done. You did put a lot of time into it and it shows. If I might advise, the only thing i would add is FD & EFIS off "WHEN LEAVING RUNWAY AND DURING TAXI" which is implemented within certain Airline AOM. Other than that (and even without it) is perfect. Thanks so much for doing this.

Cheers

Will

Thanks! smile.gif

About the FD and EFIS: I left the FD on because it is on when you load the cold and dark state (that comes with the Airbus X)... and I wanted everything to be in the end as it is at the start (even though you will load the state again the next time: it's just the idea that it's the exact same which I like). wink.gif That's also the reason why I (for instance) didn't copy the 'turn off gen 1 + 2' from the original tutorial checklist). And afaik you cannot turn the EFIS off in any way...

Of course you can save a new c&d state, but then things would become too complicated for newbies right from the start.

HI Jeroen

Just downloaded and printed off your checklist and I think it is very good ,clear and concise.

Although not a complete newbie I still found it most helpful.Thank you very much

Thanks!

I discovered one little problem myself (don't know why I missed it), although I doubt if correcting this will make things more realistic... Right now the AUTO BRK has to be set during taxi and TO CONFIG before entering the runway. However, whenever you brake, you turn off the AUTO BRK... And in order to line up etc. you HAVE to use the brakes, obviously, and then TO CONFIG is wrong again. So these two steps (AUTO BRK to MAX and press TO CONFIG) will be moved to BEFORE TAKEOFF.

How does that work in real life...? I suppose they don't use the main brakes or something...?(Yeah, this shows how little I know, really! :D ). But even if another kind of brakes are used, the newcomer will also use the main brake, so... the order has to be changed, I guess...

Okay, I did one final flight with my slightly updated and printed list and discovered a few more errors and things that didn't work right after all. This thing is becoming more and more different than the official checklist...! For instance, during approach the GND SPLRS had to be armed at green dot, but I really really really need them in order to get to the S and F speeds and Vapp!!! So I decided to arm the spoilers when you lower the full flaps. I also forgot to turn off the A/SKID & N/W STRG and the EXT PWR... Furthermore I decided to merge a few sections. BEFORE TAKE OFF, TAKE OFF and AFTER TAKEOFF are now one section with a bit more info in the 'what to do column' and the same goes for AT RETARD, AT TOUCHDOWN and AT 70 KTS, which now is merged into the more logical LANDING. There were a bit too much sections.

LOL I doubt if anyone is interested in all this info :lol: , but those who already downloaded the pdf now know that a lot of things will be changed. Maybe not more realistic but in the end the idea is to land this bird...! (And right now that means I sometimes have to do things my own way. -_- ).

I am also working on pictures to come with it all, sometimes showing specific knobs etc. and sometimes regions (no need to point out every MCDU or light knob): I'll have to see what will fit.

Thanks for your attention.;) And thanks for letting me have a lot of fun with this all! :D

Okay, I did one final flight with my slightly updated and printed list and discovered a few more errors and things that didn't work right after all. This thing is becoming more and more different than the official checklist...! For instance, during approach the GND SPLRS had to be armed at green dot, but I really really really need them in order to get to the S and F speeds and Vapp!!! So I decided to arm the spoilers when you lower the full flaps. I also forgot to turn off the A/SKID & N/W STRG and the EXT PWR... Furthermore I decided to merge a few sections. BEFORE TAKE OFF, TAKE OFF and AFTER TAKEOFF are now one section with a bit more info in the 'what to do column' and the same goes for AT RETARD, AT TOUCHDOWN and AT 70 KTS, which now is merged into the more logical LANDING. There were a bit too much sections.

LOL I doubt if anyone is interested in all this info :lol: , but those who already downloaded the pdf now know that a lot of things will be changed. Maybe not more realistic but in the end the idea is to land this bird...! (And right now that means I sometimes have to do things my own way. -_- ).

I am also working on pictures to come with it all, sometimes showing specific knobs etc. and sometimes regions (no need to point out every MCDU or light knob): I'll have to see what will fit.

Thanks for your attention.;) And thanks for letting me have a lot of fun with this all! :D

Where is the link for the download?

Where is the link for the download?

Oops, sorry, see the red edit in my first post: I removed the files because a lot of things are going to be changed (even a lot more than I said in my previous post) and I will upload the edited files tomorrow. Should have made that more clear in my last post, sorry! Don't want anyone to work anymore with the old version because of all those changes. ^_^

Don't think that peaople arent interested in this Jeroen, I am sure I am not the only one who is waiting for this. Many thanks for taking the time to do it. This is what Aerosoft should have included for the newbies this plane was designed for. Mathijs should give you a free product for the work your doing here.