Solution for lockups when loading saved flight

tup61

I've had LOTS of problems loading saved flights with the Airbus X. 9 out 10 times FSX would lockup (after showing the missing GPS message and loading a bit more for a second or two, I'd see a blue spinning circle and it was CTD-time). The odd thing was that after it happened, no other Airbus X flight would load either, even ones I could load before...! Not even after a complete reboot of the computer! And a few days later (if I had the nerve to try it once more) a problematic flight would suddenly load again. Very weird and odd.

This afternoon (while testing the solution for another little problem that required me to load a saved flight multiple times) I suddenly thought about a tweak I didn't use anymore (after cleaning up my fsx.cfg some time ago): the fact that once a flight resulted in a lockup, other flights would lockup too, made me think this could be it. And apparently this IS it. So I added

DisablePreload=1

to the [MAIN] section in the FSX. cfg and yes! I've been loading flights twenty times in a row now and never got a lockup anymore!

So if you also have lockups when loading saved Airbus X flights, you might want to give this a try!

I am really happy to be able to save and load flights now, because I don't always have the time to finish flights and sometimes FSX locksup (which has nothing to do with the Airbus X but with some system settings I use).

I've been testing the editing of the PFD and ND windows (see the PFD a pixel too low...? topic) and after loading various flights for about a dozen times once more, FSX simply refused to lock up when loading a flight! So for me this definitely is the solution! (Mind you, I restarted FSX everytime before loading a flight again: reloading a flight inflight still may not work, but that's no problem at ALL for me.)

DisablePreload=1 is one of the most common fsx.cfg tweaks, and is quite safe (unlike most of the other parameters in fsx.cfg). It's mentioned in many FSX optimization threads elsewhere.

I know it's a well known tweak, but I deleted it on purpose: I often start from the same airport and this tweak seemed to be counter productive for me (because I didn't mind if stuff was preloaded!). However, now I can load saved Airbus X flights again, I don't mind using the tweak at all, specially since I can't see much difference when it comes to loading times with or without the tweak... :o;)

And btw the tweak might be unknown for the Airbus X target group (people who buy the plane because they see the pretty box in the shop and don't even KNOW there is a cfg you can tweak...!) so for them this information might be very welcome (although I doubt if they visit this forum, of course...). ^_^

May I contribute with what I found out. It´s going in a similar direction.

Every time I close FSX at the end of a flight session or on reloading the aircraft the well known fatal error message comes up, regardless whether the plane crashed or not, and FSX goes to desktop.

By accident I recognized this: CTD´s only when FSX is in windowed mode, that is how I fly most of the time. No CTD in Full Screen mode. I can also change between the modes when FSX is running, but at the end I press ALT+ Return and everything is ok.

That´s how it works for me. I can now reload or switch to other planes as much as I like without any further problems.

I am on Win XP, FSX + SP2, nVidia graphics, Airbus X, no other addon.

Martin