Scenery loading at night

SQ024

Hi,

I hope somebody can advise, I have 15 - 30 FPS while taxiing around on EDDM with the heavy metal of PMDG and max AI-traffic, which is great compared with other mega-airports like LEBL, EDDF, EHAM, EGLL or LFPG where I usually have around 15 FPS. My issue is with, especially, the loading of the night textures which can take up to 10 minutes (even had an OoM once) and that is no fun while on approach because the sim will stop.

Virtual memory during loading is around 1550 out of 3200 so I would expect that memory is not the problem. I have some stutters while loading on approach during daytime but all within acceptable margins. I don't have this problem with any other of the mega-airports so I assume it has to do with how the EDDM-textures are loaded.

I'm using XP sp3.

Is there a way to improve the loading time?

Regards,

Rob

B.t.w. great scenery and I'm still enjoying myself during daytime.

Should have posted this in the Initial Release issues for EDDM

Hi,

is it night or dask and dawn?

Are all Textures delayed or only the ground?

Hi,

I did not use dawn and dusk yet but I did a test.

This is what I did:

1. I load the scenery during day time parked at the cargo area. Textures of planes, buildings and ground show up about 5 seconds after loading. 20 FPS

2. Change daytime to dusk, same issue as night texture. Main delay during "Loading scenery objects" and "Adjusting scenery objects" . After loading no textures (planes, buildings, ground, etc), I can see AES-traffic and AI-traffic driving around. After a while windows task manager says "Flight Simulator stopped responding"

3. I tried using FreeRAM XP Pro for a second test but that program starts cleaning memory during the loading process so I think this scenery is pushing the limits for my hardware which is a pitty as it can deal with the other mega-airports. B.t.w. video card 256MB, memory 1 GB and virtual memory 3GB

Regards,

Rob

Can you please set the AI-Traffic to 0% and check it again?

Found some curious (at least I can't explain them) result. Right here we go (great support by the way),

1. Loading scenery in daytime with the Cessna on the GA parking and 0% traffic and fair weather. 23FPS

2. Change daytime into dawn; loading time is slightly faster but we're still talking 7-8 minutes; After loading textures show up after about 10 seconds first the buildings, then lightpoles etc and last the AES-traffic

3. As I'm using a widescreen monitor 1920x1600 and FS9 was not developed for this type of screens I checked the impact of changing the desktop and FS to 1280x1024 for the above test. Loading was back to more then 10 minutes!

4. Then changed back dust to day and all was loaded within 10 seconds (that is standard for my system), with all textures immediately available. Looks like there was not much to load changing from dusk to day.

Hope this helps,

Rob

• Developer

With "Loading" you mean the when the window pops up, showing Scenery, Terrain .. is loading? In which state it takes the long time?

Is it correct, that you PC Has only 1GB physical Memory?

Please use the EDDMTraffic tool and remove all checkboxes and try it again.

With "Loading" you mean the when the window pops up, showing Scenery, Terrain .. is loading? In which state it takes the long time?

Is it correct, that you PC Has only 1GB physical Memory?

Please use the EDDMTraffic tool and remove all checkboxes and try it again.

Hi Oliver,

With loading I indeed refer to the windows pop up. I would say 70% of the time on "Loading scenery objects", 20% of the time "Loading terrain" and 10% on the rest.

1. Removed all checkboxes in the EDDMTraffic tool

2. Loading scenery in daytime with the Cessna on the GA parking and 0% traffic, no AES-traffic and fair weather. 28FPS

3. Change daytime into dawn; loading time is taking almost 10 minutes, after loading 28FPS

4. Then changed back dust to day and all was loaded within 10 seconds. The phase "Loading scenery objects" took only a second, "Loading terrain" about 5 seconds and 4 second for the rest.

I indeed have only 1 GB physical Memory and I'm aware that this is less then in the systems requirements. I just don't understand why this has such an impact on loading the night or dusk scenery and not on the day-time scenery. EHAM and EDDF have the same system requirements for the physical memory but there I don't have these problems.

Anyway if you think the memory is the main cause of the problem I'll have to live with that and do better flight-planning :D because as mentioned before I'm still enjoying this scenery during day-time. All the nice details are anyway only visible during the day.

Thanks for the help and regards,

Rob