Huey X Slingload

Jaeger

Includes a sample Slingload freeflight mission now; post 17

The Huey is the perfect workhorse in FSX as in real life. Much more so with the excellent flight model of the Huey X.

Unfortunately there isnt any slingload mission included and it took me some time and the help from several sources to figure it out. So i thought it might be helpfull to put it in one single post together.

1) Open the aircraft.cfg from the EH 101 (Simobjects/Rotorcraft/EH 101) with Notepad ++ and copy the Sling 0.0 including the Sling 1.0, copy both entries.

[sling.0]

hoist_extend_rate = 5 //Feet per second

hoist_retract_rate = -5 //Feet per second

position = 0.0, 0.0, -7.0 //Feet from datum

max_stretch = 2.0 //Max stretch distance at ultimate load

damping_ratio = 0.6 //0 for no damping to 1.0 for critically damped.

rated_load = 600 //Characteristics tension of cable in pounds

ultimate_load = 2250 //Breaking force in pounds

tolerance_angle=45 //Angle, in degrees, used to determine lateral breaking force limit

auto_pickup_range = 20 //Max Range, in feet, for auto-pickup

auto_pickup_max_speed = 50 //Maximum speed (feet per second) for auto-pickup

hoist_payload_station = 4 //Payload station in which the hoist will load in and out of. 1 is first station.

hoist_door=3 //Door associated with hoist. Must be open for use.

[sling.1]

position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 //Feet from datum

max_stretch = 2.0 //Max stretch distance at ultimate load

damping_ratio = 0.75 //0 for no damping to 1.0 for critically damped.

rated_load = 10000 //Characteristics tension of cable in pounds

ultimate_load = 25000 //Breaking force in pounds

tolerance_angle=70 //Angle, in degrees, used to determine lateral breaking force limit

auto_pickup_range = 20 //Max Range, in feet, for auto-pickup

auto_pickup_max_speed = 50 //Maximum speed (feet per second) for auto-pickup

2) paste them into the Huey aircraft.cfg. Mine is placed between Autopilot and radio

Now the Huey is prepared for Slingloads. As a next step you need an existing mission with Objects to move around, like the Slingload training mission. Run FSX with this mission, replace the EH 101 with the Huey. Save the flight with Slingload_Huey. Locate the Slingload_Huey.flt file and open it with Notepad, find the payload section. There you replace the zero cablelength with 65. Sling 0.0 is for the winch and sling 1.0 is for the hoist.

[sling.1.0]

Object=

CableLength=65

HoistSwitch=0

Some pictures of my very first attempt with the aerosoft Huey. It worked very well, and that as a Newcomer to Helicopters :).

@ Aerosoft, it would be a great feature if a winch and/or hoist view could be activated. Or if someone could point me to a source how i can change the existing views.

cheers

Jaeger

edit: corrected the door for the winch

post-37585-047652800 1296936022_thumb.jp

post-37585-059532200 1296936136_thumb.jp

post-37982-055811100 1296989658_thumb.jppost-37982-073896900 1296989610_thumb.jp

Hello

No need for logging tasks

to winch the two glue blocks following text in the file: cfg of the chopper.

[sling.0]

hoist_extend_rate = 5 / / Feet per second

hoist_retract_rate =- 5 / / Feet per second

position=0.0, 0.0, -6.0 //Feet from datum

max_stretch=2.0 //Max stretch distance at ultimate load

damping_ratio=0.6 //0 for no damping to 1.0 for critically damped.

rated_load=600 //Characteristics tension of cable in pounds

ultimate_load=3500 //Breaking force in pounds

tolerance_angle=45 //Angle, in degrees, used to determine lateral breaking force limit

auto_pickup_range=8 //Max Range, in feet, for auto-pickup

auto_pickup_max_speed=8.5 //Maximum speed (feet per second) for auto-pickup

hoist_payload_station=4 //Payload station in which the hoist will load in and out of. 1 is first station.

[sling.1]

position=-30.5, 0.0, 0.0 //Feet from datum

damping_ratio=0.75 //0 for no damping to 1.0 for critically damped.

rated_load=10000 //Characteristics tension of cable in pounds

ultimate_load=25000 //Breaking force in pounds

tolerance_angle=70 //Angle, in degrees, used to determine lateral breaking force limit

For objects, you must install (AI carrier v.2)

Then you glue blocks following lines in the cfg file AI carrier.

[Training.8]

title=pallet_of_Boxes

unit.0=pallet_of_Boxes_sm, 0, 10

[Formation.9]

title=Generator_sm

unit.0=Generator_sm, 0,10

[Formation.10]

title=Humvee_sm

unit.0=Humvee_sm, 0, 10

Assigns the control buttons (jib winch / mount / cable down the cable / hook load)

Joystik on your keyboard or, in the Commands window.

Here you are close to the logging

ps: when the right rear door opens, the winch becomes functional

• Aerosoft

@ Aerosoft, it would be a great feature if a winch and/or hoist view could be activated. Or if someone could point me to a source how i can change the existing views.

Very cool Jaeger, Contact Shaun at support@aerosoft.com and he'll set you up for a free download.

We would be glad to add a view for this, but I am not sure what kind of view you think is best. Something like somebody looking down out of the cargo door?

post-37982-055811100 1296989658_thumb.jppost-37982-073896900 1296989610_thumb.jp

Hello

No need for logging tasks

to winch the two glue blocks following text in the file: cfg of the chopper.

[sling.0]

hoist_extend_rate = 5 / / Feet per second

hoist_retract_rate =- 5 / / Feet per second

position=0.0, 0.0, -6.0 //Feet from datum

damping_ratio=0.6 //0 for no damping to 1.0 for critically damped.

rated_load=600 //Characteristics tension of cable in pounds

ultimate_load=3500 //Breaking force in pounds

hoist_payload_station=4 //Payload station in which the hoist will load in and out of. 1 is first station.

[sling.1]

position=-30.5, 0.0, 0.0 //Feet from datum

damping_ratio=0.75 //0 for no damping to 1.0 for critically damped.

rated_load=10000 //Characteristics tension of cable in pounds

ultimate_load=25000 //Breaking force in pounds

For objects, you must install (AI carrier v.2)

Then you glue blocks following lines in the cfg file AI carrier.

[Training.8]

title=pallet_of_Boxes

unit.0=pallet_of_Boxes_sm, 0, 10

[Formation.9]

title=Generator_sm

unit.0=Generator_sm, 0,10

[Formation.10]

title=Humvee_sm

unit.0=Humvee_sm, 0, 10

Assigns the control buttons (jib winch / mount / cable down the cable / hook load)

Joystik on your keyboard or, in the Commands window.

Here you are close to the logging

ps: when the right rear door opens, the winch becomes functional

That´s cool stuff mate :rolleyes:

Very cool Jaeger, Contact Shaun at support@aerosoft.com and he'll set you up for a free download.

We would be glad to add a view for this, but I am not sure what kind of view you think is best. Something like somebody looking down out of the cargo door?

Something along the lines as the have in the Seahawk/Jayhawk X package maybe?

A big thank you to Mr. Mathijs Kok for the generous offer and a big smile on my face :)

About the view:

My most used view during flight is the door view, as with the EH 101 (Picture 1). It comes close to the view that the pilot has with a bubble window, that is often seen at choppers who do a lot of hoist flying. Besides that, it could simulate a Loadmaster, which would be most likely onboard and would give the pilot a feedback; or simulate a member of the groundcrew who gives feedback over the radio.

Another possibility is a top down view, as seen in picture 2. Which might be handy in some situations. But IMHO, this viewlocation placed at the belly of the Huey, with a downward look would be better.

Thats the way i do my hoist flying, maybe other members have some good inputs too.

cheers

Jaeger

post-37585-035987800 1297099012_thumb.jp

post-37585-087966100 1297099224_thumb.jp

Thanks, Mr. Jaeger!;)

This will be a nice add-in to my install; unless Aerosoft is already going to add it to their next update? :huh:

If you had done a search on the Seahwk/Jayhawk X then this was already done and available!!

If you had done a search on the Seahwk/Jayhawk X then this was already done and available!!

:huh: I already know that, because I own the SeaHawk/Jayhawk; just look at my sig, in case you missed it. ;)

But, my question was directed to Aerosoft staff, regarding the Huey X having these camera-views etc. to be added into the next update(s). Do you understand now? ??? Furthermore, the other add-ins to the AICarriers config files are nice features that (IMHO) they should document as well. And, if you look closely at that post (AICarriers Object placements, etc.) you'll see my posts there too; perhaps you need to do your own search before you make any more needless suggestions? :rolleyes:

PS: Congrads Mr. Jaeger on getting a *freebee* and joining the club! :D

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I created a slingload practice mission, the mission itself is a freeflight. Put the files into your Flightsimulator X folder, where the saved flights are. In front of the Huey X you find a palette ready to go. There is no specific mission goal, just fly the palette up to a mountain.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ORXF02AZ

freeware soundset with the typical whoop whoop, all credits to the creator. More info in the readme.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A27ESPRJ

Jaeger

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie to this forum and have only recently purchased the Huey X, love it!

I've followed all the instructions in this topic and have got to the point where I can hook up to the loads in sling tutorial and sugarloaf moutain but the Huey doesn't seem to have enough power to lift the Humvee in the slingload tutorial or the load in the sugarloaf mountain mission.

Can any one tell me how to remedy this?

Thanks in advance.

Tony :)