Forum Maintenance Period (08/05/24) ×

Oh yes, yes, yes!!! Oooooh yes!!!

tup61

After giving the tutorial a few tries (and not getting where I wanted: all my bad, of course!) I didn't feel like doing it all again, so... I planned a flight over PNW, a short hop from Portland Int to Vancouver Int. I decided to forget about managed mode this time and fly with the FSX ATC (which, I know, isn't too good, but hey, at least they let you dial a LOT of frequencies during the flight!).

So I started with the cold and dark cockpit again, followed the checklist from the tutorial and behold, I managed to get into the air! Well, I managed to do that before, but not after setting up everything manually. Nice!

The flight was short so cruise was at a comfortable 8000 ft, :P and I got there in time by using selected modes, so speed and heading and altitude were all managed by yours truly (and with the AP, obviously). As usual ATC vectored my all over the ****** place, but everything worked and it was great.

Then came approach. (Oh, and btw, since I made a simple straight flightplan (because I knew ATC would vector me anywhere anyway) I DID see the TOC and TOD now! So the problem of not seeing it has indeed something to do with the amount of waypoints.) Right, then came approach. I followed ATC's instructions and put the ILS freq in the MCDU. Pressed the appropriate buttons and now, instead of following the tutorial steps without thinking (thinking for yourself never hurts) I dialed in the Vapp speed and lowered the flaps when needed (at the green ball and at the S and the F: it's all there in the tutorial but I just didn't see it the previous time, stupid me).

It all worked like a charm! LOC, GPS, the lot, LAND, FLARE, oh my goodness, what a PERFECT autoland!!! :) (Yes, having not too much fuel onboard really helps!)

Pressed F2 (pity you can't drag the throttle AT ALL with the mouse in the VC...! I would like that a lot!) and F3 when needed, etc. etc. etc. parked at the gates and well, then something went wrong (I followed all the steps from the tutorial checklist but was rewarded with a ****load of Master warnings) but that didn't matter because I was there and everyone was alive and kicking.

AWESOME! Absolutely awesome. Superb graphics, great sounds, incredible (and I mean INCREDIBLE) performance, great manual too (though I would like to see a little bit more things explained here and there). I love this bird.

BTW Flying this way (very short hops in selected mode with ATC) has my preference because doing very long flights using the MCDU and managed mode is a bit boring, and I do like ATC, even though they are crazy. So I am a very happy man. (Also because flying this way avoids the various problems there are with thrust and so on, although I am sure all that will be solved soon.)

Thank you, Aerosoft, for creating something absolutely wonderful!!!:D

The FPS are something you have not seen before hey?

I'll be honest, we only partly understand why it's THAT good. Not that we are complaining...

I'm not complaining either. But it's indeed THAT good. Really. I already said elsewhere that the Airbus X runs as well as the FSX Ultralight on my computer and I am not kidding. It's VERY refreshing after having flown 'big addons' in the past that would always give you a very noticable drop in fps. It's a real joy in every possible way to fly this Airbus (now I finally managed to get up and down again without problems, that is... ^_^ Although 'finally' isn't the right word, really: I bought the plane yesterday and now I can already fly it all the way... that's QUICK!)

I would like to add that I had not expected frames that good and I was not surprised when I started at Victoria International (CYYJ freeware by Don Grovestein) and the frames were fluid and locked at 30FPS.

I flew over to Vancouver where I thought the frames would drop down to the usual 17-20FPS, but much to my wonderment they remained locked at 30!

I am blown away by the Airbus X, where with all the modeling and features, especially the VC lighting (nothing I have ever experienced before except in the real thing) and the handling is truly superb, again nothing like I have ever experienced before.

All I have to say is well done Aerosoft, truly an amazing piece of work.

Robert

The FPS are something you have not seen before hey?

I'll be honest, we only partly understand why it's THAT good. Not that we are complaining...

yes on my system i can even get at about 20 FPS at Megaairport FRA... with a PMDG i get 2^^

very well done aerosoft.